DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Review Contax RTS III

I wrote this in my first review about the RTS III at the very top of this thread. So I post it here again:

"Viewfinder indications appear as white letters and numerals against a lighted blue background. This is great visible in normal daylight situations or at night. But if you are out on very sunny day to make some shots against bright sunlight, you can not see the viewfinder information anymore, because the becomes is becoming so bright.

Sometimes this is even worse, once the camera is 5 years old or older. Then you will have these problems also with normal daylight shootings. The display is basically fading out after a couple of years. But then you should send it for a viewfinder display exchange. After that it is a lot better again. This costs you around 190 Euro In Germany incl. a total check of the camera, but it is definitely worth it. "

So you can improve the visibility on older models (which is ALWAYS getting worse over the years) by the Contax service.

Dirk

kyocera was concentrated more in the construction of the film-sucking mechanism and ttl-flash.... they even had the idea to make a precise film-transport advance-backwards-mechanism which was then given up.

My viewfinder is difficult to read in bright sunlight, and the problem has nothing to do with "extraneous light"! Camera is owned two months, factory refurb, serial number 3XXX. I just ordered a new RTS III, due to arrive within the month. Should be interesting to compare old with new, as Arthur did.

I have been looking at a used RTSIII that has some signs of significant wear on the body - paint is rubbed off from around the base plate. This doesn't deter me. What does deter me is that it appears that the shutter is occassionally sticky at slow shutter speeds.

Never having owned a Contax before, how problematic is this? Can it be fixed with a CLA?
What other issues might there be in buying a used RTSIII?

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark -%)

Re the viewfinder being difficult to read in bright light;

Try activating the depth of field switch - it sometimes helps you to see the figures.

Clive

I recently obtained a second hand Contax RTS III, can you please tell me how to check the RTV is working?

Wang Cheng,

Due to a lack of critical focus, I also suspect a non-working RTV in my 2nd-hand III. Despite experimenting with battery voltages, listening by ear, and probing the RTV with a multi-meter, I could not convince myself either way.

Fortunately, I am receiving a shiny new RTS on Friday. After some A/B comparisons, I hope to learn something, and give you assistance.

>While it is possible that the RTV unit has failed, the focussing fault may have other causes and you should test for them first. If the RTV has failed, it's loss should do no more than make the film flatness as good/bad as every other camera that traps its film between two sets of machined rails and a pressure plate. I would first check, in order, dioptre adjustment, the seating of the focussing screen in its cradle, whether or not the focussing screen in installed upside down and lastly. the collimation of the lens you are using. All of these seem more likley to be the culprit to me. If you eliminate them, then you will need to send the camera to Contax for testing and/or repair. Oh yes, have you checked your eyesight lately. No offence intended, just a

If I were to buy a used RTS-III, what would be the characteristics to look for? I have read on this thread that older RTS-III's tend to have pale, weaker LCD displays. Is there anything else I should be aware of before giving off my hard-earned cash? I currently own 5 Zeiss lenses and a RTS-II. Only one of my lenses is not MM (18/4).

thanks for all inputs, and happy new year to all

G Couture

Back