DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Agfa Scala

jsmisc

Hello everybody,
I'm wondering if anyone knows where Agfa Scala can be bought in the UK. My favourite supplier - 7dayshop.com - has stopped stocking it and I cannot find it elsewhere. I wonder if it has been discontinued and hope not.
Cheers,
John

Hi John,

Enjoy it while you can...Scala is now discontinued. In fact I believe Agfa has discontiniued all it's film products!

Thank you both very much for your help. I have emailed both Primary Colour and Agfa and await results.
What a disappointment that Scala has been discontinued and indeed all Agfa films. I like them. I suppose this is the downside of the digital revolution
John

Hi Steve,

I wasn't aware Agfa had stopped their film products. I noticed this on their web-site where they admit that the emphasis will move away from film, but it doesn't say they are pulling out:

http://www.agfaphoto.com/en-GB/about/index.html

Having said that, on their UK site, there is no mention of their B&W products - which is a real pity - I prefer the Agfa look to Kodak and Ilford; I have a bit of their Black & White film stored, but perhaps that might not be available anymore.

Pity!!

Cheers, Saras

Yes, Scala is (was) unique and I found it great although it is too expensive to use very often but for some subjects it really gives a different flavour.

Hi,
I have discovered that 7day shop.com (www.7dayshop.com) still have Agfa Scala, albeit non processed paid and that Primary Colour Lab in London (www.primary-colour.com/) are still processing the film for the foreseable future although they cannot say for how long.
Also, Agfa tell me that they are still making many of their other films for the forseeable future although not in 120 size.
What a relief.
Cheers,
John

I just got the message from AgfaPhoto Germany, that they have no information of the discontinuation of Scala

Karsten

Well that is strange. This is an extract from the message I received from Agfaphoto UK:

At present Agfa are uncertain of whether they will continue to manufacture the chemistry used for processing Scala film and Germany have therefore blocked all sales of the Scala films. One of our suppliers called 7day shop do still have stock of Scala film for you to purchase. Please check their website for updates. www.7dayshop.com.

This is what caused me to check 7dayshop again as they had previously told me that they no longer stocked it. They must have meant the process paid version which I had ordered but I notice that they are selling the non process paid ones as clearance.
John

Hi John,

I think this is pretty typical of Agfa. Products are quite often fine, but the company often do not know what they are doing! I worked as a pro studio shooter in the 80's and the studio had to drop using Agfa because the customer service was rubbish and the films and chemicals often had poor consistency, which is the last thing you want with batches of studio shots. We moved to Fuji and it was the best thing we ever did.

Back