DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

First impressions Digilux 1

Can anyone confirm that the Summicron Zoom lens on the Digilux 1 - is a rebadged OEM?

Until the release of the Digilux - there has been no record of a Summicron Zoom in the Leica portfolio - most are Elmars.

Joseph Low asked: > > Can anyone confirm that the Summicron Zoom lens on the Digilux 1 - is > a rebadged OEM? > > Until the release of the Digilux - there has been no record of a > Summicron Zoom in the Leica portfolio - most are Elmars.

The Digilux is made for Leica by Panasonic. The lenses marked Leica on the Lumix cameras are made by Panasonic. The comparable camera to the Digilux 1 is the LC-5, which I understand is much the same camera with slightly different specs, and a lower price tag.

This disclaimer can be found in some the specs of the Lumix line:

"The LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMICRON lens and the LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens are manufactured using measurement instruments and quality assurance systems that have been certified by Leica Camera AG based on the company's quality standards."

Regards, Sonny http://www.sonc.com >

As a newbe to Leica, what is the significance of the "names" of the lenses? Summicron, Elmar, etc. Thanks Cathy

As a newbe to Leica, what is the significance of the "names" of the > lenses? Summicron, Elmar, etc. Thanks Cathy >

Leica uses names to define aperture, Noctilux, for an f/1 lens "night-light" f/1.4 is Summilux, f/2 is Summicron, f2.8 is Elmarit, 2.8 Tele-Elmarits. The old Hector line was named for someones dog, I think.

It is interesting, and maybe some one else can give the history of what the names mean.

Sonny

>>

> It is interesting, and maybe some one else can give the > history of what the names mean. > > Sonny ================================================================= I would recommend buying a copy of Rogliatti's book about the history of Leica. Beats watching TV......

> This is my first posting on this list although I have been reading all the interesting threads. Does anyone know how much is charged on averige for calibrating a rangefinder on a m4-2 that I have just bought on Ebay, answers in uk pounds please. Danny in Liverpool UK

Congratulations Danny,

My repair man does not charge me it is such a quick and easy job. When in remote places I have done it myself, but that is after a tutorial from the Meister.

I would have thought a quarter of an hours fee at what ever the going rate is currently in the UK.

Best of luck.

Justin

Back