DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

The old 16mp m4/3 sensor

Those are spectactular!

I have to admit to using the 16MP GM5 more, right now, than the 20MP GX9, for everyday stuff. Since I got the S5, most of my "serious" shooting (if you can call it that :) ) is being done with that system. So, the GM5 goes with me when I want small and convenient. The sensor is great in good light, and the diminutive camera puts people at ease, so it's a nice thing to have in social situations. Yeah, the GX9 is better, but it's not up to what the FF can do, esp in iffy light, soooo....
Yup, the GM1 and EM1.1 still get used quite a bit with small lenses. OM1 kit is standard. FF only for serious landscape with tripod etc.

It all depends what’s important for each outing. Rather wonderful having the small kits at such low costs.

Andrew

The first person I have come across who is also a long term Thumbs+ user. They have been very quiet for a couple of years now - I must check their website to see if they are still around. There was a significant update on the stocks but I have not noticed it actually being commissioned.

A really good versatile program used for years and has never hit the popular big time. A small outfit and deserves better.

The first person I have come across who is also a long term Thumbs+ user. They have been very quiet for a couple of years now - I must check their website to see if they are still around. There was a significant update on the stocks but I have not noticed it actually being commissioned.

A really good versatile program used for years and has never hit the popular big time. A small outfit and deserves better.
Still around mate, about 3 months ago I needed a new activation key, over 20 years I lost it somewhere, so I got in touch from the Cerious site and he emailed me a new one a couple of days later. BTW it works fine on Windows 11 as well.

Just going through an old folder here with bird shots and old Canon tele lenses with the E-M10 (original) and the E-M1. The 16mp sensor was and IMO still are excellent. No doubt some of my best shots have come from those two cameras and the 16mp sensor.

Yes, nice to have the m4/3 20mp sensor for sure and maybe even the GH6 26mp new sensor, but those old sensors can still hold their own today.

So a few shots from the 16mp sensors

View attachment 1080

View attachment 1081

View attachment 1082

View attachment 1083

View attachment 1084

View attachment 1085

View attachment 1086

Always fun looking back on the older sensors and I did start with the 12mp m4/3 sensors. There was a difference there for sure, but I think a lot of it progressed with new tech being done besides just the mp.

All the best folks and just an old fart reminiscing over the older sensors is all.

Danny.
Totally agree, love my old EM1 and the sensor i think is still fine even for todays shooting.

Specially for macro.

PC030054 (Medium).jpg
  • OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. - E-M1
  • SIGMA 105mm F2.8 MACRO
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/80 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 400

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree, love my old EM1 and the sensor i think is still fine even for todays shooting.

Specially for macro.
Ahhh, robberfly with a feed. Very nice.

Thanks NZmacro, it was taken with my old 105 sigma, very early version of that lens on my Em1.

first post here, not sure wether i attached the image the write way lol ...bit different from DPR

first post here, not sure wether i attached the image the write way lol ...bit different from DPR
Cool shot, the body where the legs attach reminds me of "Star Wars Storm Trooper" armor.
Your image attached just fine. You can either attach using the ATTACH FILES button (at the bottom) or using the INSERT IMAGE button (at the top next to the LINK button).

The 12mp sensor definitely had limitations. At ISO 1600 chroma noise was pretty bad and those shots were best converted to B&W. I have never run into a limitation with the 16mp sensor and the right lens.

Tedolph

Ha, Ted is in the house. All we need now is happyvan and Ted would be very pleased (old inside joke).

Back