DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

How to explain this light?

BratPix

This photo was taken facing west on April 25 at sunset from the top floor of the Zamansky Tower in Paris https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_Zamansky.

DSC00832.jpg

Here is a wider shot:

DSC00833.jpg

I suspect the sun was already below the horizon when this happened? It looks like a single beam of sunlight might have poked through a hole in a lower layer of clouds, illuminating a cloud in a higher layer. Regardless, it's a very cool shot.

I suspect the sun was already below the horizon when this happened? It looks like a single beam of sunlight might have poked through a hole in a lower layer of clouds, illuminating a cloud in a higher layer. Regardless, it's a very cool shot.
Thank you DrLex for you reply. I guess you are perfectly right in your explanation.

It's called a "sun dog" where I'm from.
Thank you for this suggestion. I looked for images on the internet for sun dogs (or parhelia). While most of them have nothing in common with what I saw, a few are strickingly similar so yes I think it is a sun dog!

Back