Does DP-2 need a filter?

araz

I added a UV/IR cut filter, mostly for lens protection, but wonder if the DP-2 is already filtered/ In that case, I'd just use a clear filter. Does anyone know what the spectral characteristics of the DP-2 are?

tc95

araz...the DP2 like all the other Sigma camera's really don't need the UV/IR filter on them...in-front of the chip there is a quartz-crystal that actually acts as a UV/IR filter when taking shots...what I do use is a Polarizer and specialty filters with mine...really the UV/IR filters that you buy for your lenses are more for protection...and would probably take it off unless you’re in a windy/sandy/wet or other harsh environment...my own tests lean towards the fact that these filters soften the image just a tad...thus making you enhance them more...

But if you already bought it...and can't take it back...use it to protect and in harsh conditions...

Shot of a DP sensor with other info...

Sigma_DP1_review_sample_FoveonX3[1].jpg

Happy Shooting...Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Oblidor

I added a UV/IR cut filter, mostly for lens protection, but wonder if the DP-2 is already filtered/ In that case, I'd just use a clear filter. Does anyone know what the spectral characteristics of the DP-2 are?
The only thing a filter might help for is flaring. Not sure if a UV filter would help. I saw no flaring with a polarisation filter (which might be entirely due to the filter's properties).