DOF tables for the G-system

G

"Is there a link or site that has a nice compact DOF scale? Also how accurate with the G1 are the adjustments made in the viewfinder to account for focusing range? Basically if you are trying to use a tree (for ex&le) along the side of an image foreground, how accurate do you treat the image in the viewfinder? Do you recommend adding more or less, to capture the desired framing."

G

Shaun,

there is a DOF table for the G-system in feet and meter in the scan section/G-system.

Dirk

G

Hi,
I made two small depth of field tables for the 35mm, 45mm and 90mm lenses and printed them onto a blank Avery label sheet. They are now stuck onto the back of my G1 & G2 cameras (protected by sellotape) to give a quick guide to depth of field.

I accept that it is not as easy to use as the markings on a lens barrel, but the Contax lenses do not suit that type of guide.

Clive

G

About DOF tables, I made Hyperfocal tables that I printed on double-weighted paper and taped on the back of my G1 and G2.

Using the same principle, I also made DOF tables for 21, 35, 45 and 90 mm, printed on double-weighted paper, assembled back to back, and recovered with transparency tape. As a result I have 2 handy platic cards which I always keep with my equipment, and which I use when wide apertures are needed.

I can send the Excel and Word files I used + photos, if someone is interested.

Olivier.

G

Dear Olivier,

I would very much like to receive your tables in Word-format!!

Thanks,

Frank

G

Olivier wrote about printing hyperfocal/DOF tables to tape onto the Contax G2: >I can send the Excel and Word files I used + photos, if someone is >interested.

That could be really useful. I thought about making my own many times, but haven't done it so far. So please: Yes, it would give me a head start! I would appreciate if you could mail me these to: richard.torsleff@ellips-ark.se

Thanks,

Richard

G

Hello,
I've been following the DOF thread for a bit now and would offer the following calculator and associated help file for your use. It comes from Digital Light and Color. It came with an editing program that I use, Picture Window.
the help file is at
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

and the DOF calculator is at

I believe they can also be found at

under downloads

Joe W.

G

Hello,

as I can only send these files to people I know the e-mail address, and as I won't have time enough to reply to many people on a one-to-one basis, I am wondering if there is a way to upload these files somewhere on the site. In that case I would update the files with a version including anglo-saxon units (at the moment they are in the metric system). Maybe Dirk could tell me if this is possible.

By the way, this is probably the wrong thread for discussing this...

Olivier.

G

Hi all,=20 Inspired by Joe I searched for a PalmOS DoF Calculator and found one at
IMHO a Palm, in my case a Sony Clie, is more suitable as a G2's companion :)

Regards

Volker

G

Olivier,

great work! I find it very useful.

Maybe Dirk could put it in the download section?

Till

G

Hello,

I have just sent an e-mail to Dirk with the files, and I hope he will put them on the download section.

Olivier.

G

Every now and then people are asking for DOF tables for the G-System. There is one in the Scan Section for the G-Systen as a pdf file to download from Dan.

If people want to have more choice for DOF tables, they can look in this thread, which I moved from another thread in this forum.

Dirk

G

The attachments are the DOF tables of Oliver and belongs to his copyright.

Thanks for the input!

Dirk

Dirk,

here are the files I used for creating my DOF tables, and that I already
sent to some members yesterday :

- the Excel file was used for calculation and formatting

- the Word file was used for printing (as it gives better control of the output). I just copied and pasted the results from excel to the word document

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
Excel sheet
(175.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
Word document in meter
(90.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>

G

Thanks very much Olivier and Dirk for the very handy depth of field tables.They certainly help to overcome one of the few deficiencies on the G lenses. Depth of field scales on the lenses would me on my wish list but I wouldn't want to have to buy new lenses even if they did put them on!

G

Hallo everybody!

I used the suggestion Volker Hett made and visited =
: there you can also find a = Windows DoF program which lets you print round "slide rules" to stick to = lens caps!! Works very fine for me!

Frank.