DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Post deleted on DPR

RetCapt

I just had a post deleted on DPR dealing with the theft of equipment. Apparently my post was not sufficiently politically correct, although in no way obscene, political, religious or off color. I have had this happen a few times in the past, never with any explanation to me. I bring this up here in the hopes that censorship will be less extreme in this new forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a post deleted on DPR dealing with the theft of equipment. Apparently my post was not sufficiently politically correct, although in no way obscene, political, religious or off color. I have had this happen a few times in the past, never with any explanation to me. I bring this up here in the hopes that censorship will be less extreme in this new forum.
If what you're saying is true then DPR was acting in a heavy-handed manner. This is not only inappropriate, but ultimately counterproductive in the long run for them as a business entity. It's more than apparent however not only in the virtual domain of photography forums, but in the real world of flesh and feelings that things are moving towards dangerous and destructive extremes, and I'm not being hyperbolic here. (I for one believe that this has been the de facto standard for awhile now.) This is an unfortunate trend, to say the least, and will only make things much worse for everyone. I'm pretty confident though things here at DPRF aren't as authoritarian or arbitrary. I'm quite satisfied after 7 weeks. Sorry to hear that politicization and policing of everything, including something as unoffensive as a post about stolen goods, has reared its monstrously ugly head yet again.

Last edited:
Thank you Box Man. My post did skewer a prior poster, but his post was illogical and off-base. So I am guilty there. In so doing I was actually agreeing with another poster. But I was just not that guilty, in my opinion. I am of the mind that if someone posts something ill thought out and lacking in logic, they deserve a response that calls that out. When I agreed with the other poster, I said that his response was cogent. The post to which he was responding, and upon which I commented, was most notably not cogent. Cogency is not a standard at DPR, and that reduces the level of discourse. There is an element of evil joy in being able vent about it here.

Thanks for providing more context to your original post, RetCapt. I am of the mind that anyone should be able to post anything that is done in, more or less, good taste, which might include any form of criticism or rebuttal addressing any type of contention. I never let myself get dragged into the gutter of nasty disputes, however, where persons' are attacked instead of flaws and weaknesses in an argument. I am fully aware though that some people have an inclination to enjoy this kind of thing; and as long as it isn't too mean spirited or totally out of line and never gets carried away, I say let it go because it'll probably peter out soon enough on its own. But like I mentioned, I will not take part in such duels. First of all, it's a waste of time. Second, I never want my emotions to get the best of me. I really believe none of us should take any of these things written in forums too seriously or too personally.

@RetCapt

I am a little bit confused with your posting. First, there is no reason to put all your text in bold. I corrected that. Makes it a loot easier to read.

Secondly I find it strange that you complain as a new users in a new forum about another forum and admit at the same time that you did not behave there correctly. We do not have any insights or control about what is going on at dpreview. But if you say yourself, that you already "misbehaved" in several other postings at dpreview before, I do not understand what you want to say with this.

Either you misbehaved or not. We can not judge or comment on this, because we can not hear all parties involved. If yes, then it might have made sense that your posting at dpreview was deleted and all is good.

Put your feet in the shoes of a moderator. A moderator has to find the right compromise to keep a forum friendly and that everybody sticks to the netiquette and not beeing too invasive. This is sometimes difficult. But if you already have at dpreview a track record of beeing unpolite, of course a moderator will delete your postings faster than with someone who is doing it the first time ;)

But all this does not matter for us. We are not dpreview. Just behave here at DPRF correctly and all is fine :daumenhoch-smilie:

@RetCapt

I am a little bit confused with your posting. First, there is no reason to put all your text in bold. I corrected that. Makes it a loot easier to read.

Secondly I find it strange that you complain as a new users in a new forum about another forum and admit at the same time that you did not behave there correctly. We do not have any insights or control about what is going on at dpreview. But if you say yourself, that you already "misbehaved" in several other postings at dpreview before, I do not understand what you want to say with this.

Either you misbehaved or not. We can not judge or comment on this, because we can not hear all parties involved. If yes, then it might have made sense that your posting at dpreview was deleted and all is good.

Put your feet in the shoes of a moderator. A moderator has to find the right compromise to keep a forum friendly and that everybody sticks to the netiquette and not beeing too invasive. This is sometimes difficult. But if you already have at dpreview a track record of beeing unpolite, of course a moderator will delete your postings faster than with someone who is doing it the first time ;)

But all this does not matter for us. We are not dpreview. Just behave here at DPRF correctly and all is fine :daumenhoch-smilie:
dirk,

If I may, I believe RetCapt was not upset with DPRF or with you when he posted the original message of this thread. (I'm sure you know this.) He was merely venting, getting something off his chest that needed to be rid of due to the fact that he felt that he was treated unfairly and without explanation, which made things even worse than they were. I didn't interpret his post as "complaining" in its conventional North American usage. I believe he posted the above message looking for sympathetic ears to hear him out, to hear his side of the story, which is what most of us all want sometimes. Additionally, and this is only a guess on my part, maybe his post was a "test the waters," to see if anyone here would be able to commiserate with him before he made a commitment to be a part of this community.

As for the main purpose of his post, well, I believe that he was trying to say that members of a community, any community, should not think of themselves as any better than any other member by arrogantly and condescendingly dishing out sanctimonious advice about questions regarding the basics of photography, especially to beginners who honestly want useful advice. He had taken issue it seems with some members tone at DPR which he sincerely believed belittled the opinion of others. We all know there are some people who are too didactic and pontificate too often, but the worst offenders are those who are maliciously so.

I think I could glean much of his intentions by going back and reading his first post. It provided just enough background context for me to better, more fully understand the post in question. It is my belief that RetCapt wants a margin of freedom without being silenced to call out someone for arrogant, illogical, and/or ill-mannered behavior in a forum setting, and by doing so, hopes to keep guilty violators honest.

If I'm wrong about any of this my apologies in advance, but I have written this with the hope of avoiding any misunderstanding due to information gaps and the nuances of what was said and unsaid, etc.

Regards,

:)

Thank you again Box Man. You understand my intent and context perfectly, and there is nothing further to add.

To Dirk: I was not aware that I had typed my post in bold. I had no such intent, nor did I even know how to change fonts on this site. Looking at the header now I see the bold symbol, but I did not know it at the time and I did not select it.

If I have any propensity towards "misbehavior" (a word I did not use because it was not) I think anyone can check my posting history on DPR and decide for themselves.

Thank you again Box Man. You understand my intent and context perfectly, and there is nothing further to add.

To Dirk: I was not aware that I had typed my post in bold. I had no such intent, nor did I even know how to change fonts on this site. Looking at the header now I see the bold symbol, but I did not know it at the time and I did not select it.

If I have any propensity towards "misbehavior" (a word I did not use because it was not) I think anyone can check my posting history on DPR and decide for themselves.
Don't mention it RetCapt. I only did what I did because it was the proper thing to do. I did not want to see any misunderstanding grow unnecessarily within the community, especially if I could help prevent it; and I feel strongly that we have a good community of people here who are on the whole, friendly, well-mannered, and respectful of others.

Thank you Smaug. It was in News and Rumors Talk. The thread is entitled 'San Mateo man robbed of camera and gear'. The post immediately above mine, with whom I was in agreement is deleted too. So the last remaining post in that thread is the one with which both if us disagreed and rebutted. The two of us who disagreed with that post were deleted. Tnx again.

Back