DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CONTAX to CANON eos adapter ring

G

I saw an adapter to use Contax MM lenses on Canon EOS cameras, so I wanted to ask you if you think it will work or will it have problems with image quality?

Thanks

> Funny you mention that adapter, because I just saw one like it this week myself, online. It was on the web site for Bob Shell. He states on his site that it works but that you obviously do not have autofocus with it. And, you will have to manually set the aperature on the lens to shoot. There are limitations since there are large differences between the way the two systems work. He said its price is US$150. I have never used it, but you can read more about it here: http://www.bobshell.com/store/products/g-adapt-01.htm

Although as I said, I have never used it, I figure if I'm investing money in Zeiss lenses, it is worth investing in the contax body too. But if thinking of getting the manual lenses, you also have the option of going with inexpensive Yaschica manual focus bodies (very cheap used) which mount flawlessly with Contax manual focus lenses. The glass is responsible for the image quality more than the body - but the body should at least feel comfortable in your hands and for your use of its controls.

-Lynn

e.g. zeiss lenses on canon ef, full metallic and manual,works without batteries.

There are no optical elements, so the image will be as good as ever.
Guessing your asking so as to have a digital body, with zeiss optics, remember that the image produced on the d-60 will have a conversion factor of 1.6 due to the smaller sensor area as compared to 35mm film, 1.3 with the eos 1-d and no factor with a 1d-s.
The other factor is that your Zeiss lenses will be used like pre-set. Focus with the lens wide open, stop down for the shot with a dimmer viewfinder corresponding to the amount your closing the aperature.
(where's the DIGITAL RX?)

I use this combo and can attest to the effectiveness of the combo. However, for the reasons enumerated by J Wojtaszek I find it best to use these lenses on a tripod. Jack Casner

Ooops, now I found the thread:
German Company Zoerkendoerfer will have an adapter ZEISS-EOS soon.
Price will be about 150 EUR + VAT (due to a preliminary info by them)
matthias

Hi Matthias,
Zeiss-EOS Adapter is useful,please let me know how to contact Zoerkendoerfer. Do they have a web site?
When I look at the test photos in Contaxinfo. The images of EOS 1Ds supplied by Fotografz is better than ND in terms of sharpness,but some images of EOS 1Ds shows chromatic aberration and this is not found in ND images. The sharpness of EOS 1D is due to the 11 million pixels,but the colour abnormality is due to the canon lens.
I wonder what will happen if we fit Zeiss manual lens to EOS 1Ds with the adapter? It could be a lethal combination.

The website is www.zoerk.de or www.zoerk.com. The combination you mention might be very interesting, especially because CANON should be able to bring more digital bodies at an affordable price!

But I just bought a new ST, so I am not interested in the combination EOS/ZEISS any more.

Matthias

>Hi Matthias, >Zeiss-EOS Adapter is useful,please let me know how to contact >Zoerkendoerfer. Do they have a web site? >When I look at the test photos in Contaxinfo. The images of EOS 1Ds >supplied by Fotografz is better than ND in terms of sharpness,but some >images of EOS 1Ds shows chromatic aberration and this is not found in >ND images

how about using google? its http://www.zoerk.com

what does ND mean? you mean filmcamera with FD-lenses?

Back