DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CY Lens Collection Question

tscollins

Hi All:
I am new to the forum and relatively new to Contax. I recently bought an Aria with a 50mm lens which I am loving. I am in the process of deciding which lenses to complement the 50mm. Therefore my question is: If you were allowed to keep only five lenses (one zoom plus 4 primes or 5 primes), which 5 lenses would make up your ultimate all-around kit? In terms of subject, I generally shoot landscapes, macros, portraits, and street stuff. I probably don't have much need for telephoto above 200mm. Thanks in advance.
Tim

Tim, I'm new here too, and sort of "fell into" Contax in that I bought gear from the estate of a deceased photographer. I found myself with 2 167MT bodies, the Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, the 50/1.7 Planar, and the Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4 along with a TLA20 flash unit and other small accessories for $600 USD. I got this stuff in 1990 and at the time had no idea how good it was. I've used the gear hard since then all over the US, the Middle East, Central and South America, both for personal enjoyment and work, and have yet to encounter my first problem. Like you, I really don't use anything over 200mm, and for that the zoom seems to work fine. When I need more on rare occasion, I use a Yashica 2x converter with the zoom, and at least for me it works fine in daylight settings. I find myself using the 28 quite a lot, especially for indoor stuff and street scenes, and I would not be without this lens. My 50/1.7 is a pure joy for general shooting. I'm not sure I have a real "need" for them, but recently I've been getting interested in trying the 180/2.8 and maybe an 85mm too now that the manual focus CZ lenses are more reasonable on e-bay. I added a well-used 139 Quartz as a "knock-around" body and have a bunch of Yashica primes and zoom lenses along with Yashica bodies too for experimentation and work use because they are dirt cheap and some of them are suprisingly good. Just my experience, hope it helps.
Tom

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum, and great choice of camera!

The ultimate kit? It has to start with my absolute favourite lens the 21mm f2.8 Distagon, a real gem. Then the 28-85mm Vario-Sonnar, possibly the finest standard zoom ever made. Of course the 50mm f1.7 for low light (and it's incredibly sharp). The 100mm Makro-Planar is a must-have also, yet another spectacular performer. Finally I've recently added a 135mm f2 to this line up because of it's reputation, and it lives up to it. Wonderfully sharp and has a beautiful bokeh.

I also have the 100-300mm Vario-Sonnar and the 25mm Distagon, but they don't get used as much as the rest so they would have to be left out from the 5 lens line-up. I'm sure there will be plenty of other recommendations as there aren't really any dogs produced by Zeiss, but this is my standard kit and it does just fine thank you!

Best wishes,
Matt

Hi Tim and welcome,
That's a difficult one. I love my 100mm f3.5 but I also like my 85mm f2.8. They are different but each is lovable. I tend to like to stand back a little with my lenses although I also have the 25mm. Although the 100, is a bit slow, I don't think I would part with it except at gun or bankrupt point. It just makes such lovely pictures and gives an extra bit of reach and is lovely to use.
I also have the 28-85 zoom but have gone off it a bit as I tend now just to go out with one lens at a time and adapt it to whatever I want to photograph. I think the zoom is very large and heavy and a bit slow. I think it distorts at the wide end a bit too, at least I thought that last time I used it to photograph a castle in Wales and decided that the lens made the walls point somewhat towards the centre.
I once had the 100mm before and sold it when I sold all my 35mm gear to concentrate on medium format. I couldn't resist the lure of Contax and had to buy stuff all back again. At that time I had the 85mm f1.4. I thought it was a lovely lens, so bright although people have complained about it being soft at maximum aperture. I have stuck with the f2.8 version since my re-buy because it is so compact.
I also have the 200mm f4 having previously had the huge f3.5. I think it is excellent although I rarely use it. I have a teleconverter for it too.
Biting the bullet, I think I would stick with the 100mm and the 200mm and of course the 50mm f1.4 which would be the one lens I would keep if I had to sell all the others. It is almost a universal lens since if you scan from it at high resolution there is plenty of room to crop and still have high megapxel results.
I would also keep the 25mm,if I am allowed under this criterion, for wideangle shots. I have the 28mm G lens which is superb but have never tried the 28mm C/Y.
It's a bit like the UK radio programme "Desert Island Discs" in which people have to choose the music they would take with them if they were stranded on a desert island. They can only take so many plus a book and a luxury.

Hope this helps,
John

> [Hi there, I too own an Aria and have been wondering due to its light weight which lenses are too heavy. I have heard that the 28-85mm 1.4 is too heavy. So which lenses balance the best on the Aria and which are too heavy.

Regards,

Jim ]

Thanks all. Those are some good responses. I'm pretty convinced that I will start with the 28mm and 85/2.8 given their relative value and Tom's and John's experiences. Then I think I need to start saving for one or two of the gems: the 21mm, 100mm, etc. Regards,
Tim

Well, Tim, you better put away LOTS of money - the last 21mm I know of went for $3900 about a week ago :). I'm ready to give up on getting one, and looking to Leica alternatives (is that sick or what?).

I believe the 35-70mm f3.4 lens might be even a bit better than the 28-85. Although not as big a range, it's 3.4 at all focal lengths, smaller and lighter. And it's tack sharp to the corners at 5.6 and up. It's a beaut. My Canon 1DsII is not very lenient on lenses, and it loves this one
biggrin.gif
. Only catch is at f3.4 it's a bit harder to focus than the venerable 35 & 85 at 1.4.

Cheers,

DJ
Feeding Contax Zeiss to his EOS 1DsII

Morning Jim,
I find that the 28-85 f3.3-4 works OK on the Aria although the balance is better with the RX. The Aria seems pretty strong and I wouldn't rule out using the 28-85 on it.
Cheers,
John

The 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f2.8 is a great starter kit...the 28-85 is a better zoom in my opinion just don't point it near the sun as it flares badly. I would of said later add a 21 but Canon digital users have put this lens into orbit pricewise...above 135mm Contax primes show their age.

Thanks guys on the 21mm advice. It sounds like I won't be getting rid of my Nikon 20mm for a while. Anyone have experience comparing the 60mm AE macro versus the 100mm macro? Any pros and cons other than the obvious focal difference. Thanks,
Tim

Back