DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax filters Any good

Contax filters are not made by Contax, and no-one seems to know who makes them. The consensus is that Heliopan and B+W are the best in the world, and from B+H, Heliopan comes in a bit cheaper. they are both German glass. I've not seen anyone say that Contax filters are

Hi all

I prefer B&W Filters for all my lenses. Only for the Nikon 28-85 AF I use a Nikon Polarizing Filter.

Hans

What do you think about Cokin filters (series A, P)? Is their quality the same as B+W?

Kirill.

Just a question : is it possible to use a polarizing filter on a telemetric camera ?

Diane,

Based on reputation, I picked B+W for my (modest) filter needs. Their full catalog (25MB) has plenty of general info and is on-line at the parent company site:

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf_filterkatalog.htm

For the bandwidth-impaired, their catalog can be downloaded by chapter.

Points relating to your equipment:

- First, choose multi-coated (MRC) filters, otherwise your excellent lenses will lose their edge, especially in scenes of high contrast (e.g. night work).

- Second, the autofocus N system needs more expensive circular polarizers. With manual-focus SLRs, I manage with the linear type.

- Third, the wide end of your zoom may vignette with the thickness of standard B+H filters. You will want further input on this matter, or a hands-on test. Slim filters solve the problem, at greater cost and loss of the front thread (no further stacking of filters).

Finally, the B+H filters have super build of heavy brass with matte-black finish. Great stuff! The rotating portion has firm action, meaning it holds position if you brush against it.

I don't have much experience using Heliopan filters but my comparison of Contax 46mm filters with my B+W 46mm filters show that the 46mm Contax filter coatings are slightly better than the B+W MRC coatings and at some angles the Contax filters look like they do not have glass on them at all. This is only based on 46mm UV filters though. I have no experience with other sizes. The B+W is definitely a good filter as it compares well to the Nikon L37c that I use, although the Nikon filter rings are thinner for the most part. ( I guess it depends on what size filters though )

Thanks for the advice regarding a polarizer filter.
Neither BW nor Contax offers a multi-coated circular film in 82mm. Actually, BW does in a slim version, but it has a push on filter cap which I find a pain---------it falls off the filter into tne camera bag, especially when shooting in hot climates. I often hike in dusty or sandy locations so I keep my camera in the bag.
Is giving up MRC a mistake -- do I just put up with the very annoying push on cap? Also, should I purchase BW or Contax, assuming I don't buy MRC? What about the BW Kaesemann (not MRC)?
Again, thanks to everyone for their help.

>1- B+W non MRC said to be better than Contax and better than most non MRC (MRC = multi-resistant, unclear that means better optics, but scratch-resistant; Kaesmann is supposed to be a much more sophisticated filter than the ordinary one, presumably a step up. I've also hear people say that Hoya's top of the line comes a few hairs away from the B&W, difference might well not be discernible. Have you looked at the B&H Web site - there's much more there than you speak of in both B+W and Heliopan. Slim, regular, MRC, non-MRC, Kaesmann

Diane,

I merely read the B+H literature, but the Käsemann polarizers are edge-sealed for better weather resistance. Pricey damn things. They're uncoated, but B+H say polarizers don't need a single coat treatment. That doesn't stop them from offering multi-coated (MRC) polarizers of the non-Käsemann variety. Good science, or good marketing?

Back