DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

VoigtlanderCosina new Contax rangefinder mount body and lenses

Hi folks!

Here are the latest news I just got from ringfoto Austria: this camera will be available in spring 2003, and will cost about 990€. Further details to come.

Regards
Wolfgang

For almost $1000 I think you can buy a real thing, have it overhauled/rebuild and enjoy the original instead of remake.

Hi Matt!

I really agree with You here. At this price I will get a Contax IIIa and send it in for general overhaul, and have a REAL Contax. The only benefit of the Voigtländer is the TTL Metering and the Hotshoe. To me this Voigtländer seems to be much overpriced.

Best regards
Wolfgang

Sorry, I forgot some additional news: It is being said that there will not be any Voigtländer lens with the old Contax mount (maybe this is only for the european market I assume). So it is really to ask what purpose this camera shall be.

Regards
Wolfgang

>Hi Wolfgang (and everyone else on the list)

Firstly, I would go for a IIa rather than a IIIa. Unless you have the meter fully overhauled too it is likely to be dead, and not too useful. The IIa is better looking IMHO too.

Besides the TTL meter and hotshoe the other advantage of the Bessa is a brighter rangefinder, my IIa is fine, but pales in comparison to a friend's Le**a M3 rangefinder. I haven't seen it but I guess the Voigt would fall between the two.

**off topic** What I really want to know from Cosina is the compatability of their new lenses on old Contax bodies, particularly the wide angles, any clues anyone??

Cheers

Ben

> I like my Contax IIa also. What drives me CRAZY is the focus lock at infinity. I tend not to use it so much because if this. Jeff

Wolfgang, No new lenses in the Contax mount, that truly sucks!

The point I suppose is to use your old Zeiss lenses, but they are doing the almost identical Nikon mount. Cosina are trying hard with the Bessa, but to release a body with no lenses sounds very strange to me.

Though I'm sure I read on Camera Quest somewhere that the Nikon mount wides (35 and wider) are fine to use on Contax, as the depth of field is greater than the mismatch of the rangefinder coupling.

Is anyone using Nikon lenses on their Contax, and able to confirm this??

cheers Ben

Hi Jeff, My advice is either; get a different length lens, the focus lock only works on the 50mm AFAIK, all others that use the outer bayonet disable it.

Or try to disable it yourself, my thought would be to wedge open the little post next to the mount on the camera front (that way you can still use the focusing wheel on top if you want). Or use some tape on the top plate to hold down the lock It may not be a pretty solution, but your Zeiss glass should make up for it :)

Ben

> Thanks Ben, I'll try it. It really made me nuts. I lost shots because of it when raking the focus back and forth- lock- %*@#!!

Back