DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

70210mm F35 zoom

G

Hi:

This is my first time on this site and I have a question that need your help. A friend is offering me this zoom lens in a very good price, and I would like to know the performance of this particular lens. As far as I know, many of my friends who own this lens swear by it, and I would like to know your experiences before I made up my mind. Thanks,

Hi Edward,

I am using 70-210 f3.5. The quality is really very good I ever have to a zoom lens. Besides, it provides a macro function which mag. ratio is up to 1/2 life size. However, it is quite heavy. What I recall is 1.125 Kg. Anyway, you can check the spec. from the website. I am actually seeking for someone to comment on 70-210 f3.5 vs 80-200 f4.

I bought this lens at a very high price so that I did not want to tell you the price and bias your decision. You can check ebay which recently has such lens for bid. The buy it now price is USD1400.0

Francis.

Edward,

I too have a 70-210mm Vario Sonnar which I use with my RTSIII - incidentally, the lens will be for sale shortly along with my other RTS gear - I'm moving to digital.

This lens is a cracker - probably the best quality mid range zoom I have tried. When I bought it, I did some lens test charts at 135mm and compared them with the 135mm Zeiss f2.8 lens which I had at the time. The Zoom was at least as good throughout the tests, and in some cases was better - the edge performance was outstanding. It is a heavy lens, and it has the macro facility which is excellent. If you are getting it at a good price, buy it - it is a very versatile piece of glass!

Andy
ps a lot of the shots on my site were taken with this lens - check out www.cvscotland.com

Back