DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Yashica FRII FRI

Yushke,

Whichever type of battery you buy, please make sure that it is not a mercury one. Although these are now banned for environmental reasons in many countries, they are still sometimes to be found on smaller photo shop shelves. I am fairly sure, for ex&le, that if you find a PX28, it will be mercury. When these cells go flat, they very quickly start to leak a horribly corrosive gel that probably has killed more cameras in the last thirty years than any other single cause. Also be careful about lithium cells, as they are often somewhat over-voltage and that together with their low internal resistance can cause incorrect readings from the exposure meter and even damage other electronic components. Avoid the cheaper zinc/air also, as their performance is distinctly sub-standard. Stick to silver oxide and buy a known make - Duracell, Fuji, Panasonic, Kodak, Energizer and Renata are among the best. The 4LR44 is, as you assumed, 4 button cells but in a neat little sealed tube and therefore, less open to bad contact than 4 separate cells. Wilson

Just another quick thought which may be of some use to members who have cameras, flashes or lightmeters which use the PX27 battery. As this is a mercury cell it should no longer be obtainable and should not be used in any case due to its tendency to leak. There is no direct replacment available. It is easy to make one. Buy two 357 button cells and two 386 cells. Cut a piece of insulating tape about 1.5cm x 4cm. Sandwich the two smaller 386 cells between the two 357's making sure your fingers are dry and grease free. Wrap the tape round the cells and trim the excess. Run a blunt object round the grooves between the cells to ensure good contact between each cell. this slightly stretches the tape to act as a soft spring. Whole process takes less than 5 mins. This will give you a cell with exactly the same dimensions and voltage as the old PX27 also similar internal resistance but it doesn't leak when flat. Wilson

Wilson,

Thank you very much for clarifying that. I didn't know that the PX28, if available, was mercury based and that it could do such damage.

Thanks again to all those that replied so
patiently to my questions...I've just bought a used FR to go with a couple of Zeiss AE lenses that I inherited from my late uncle and am really looking forward to taking them out for a spin!

Yuske

>Posted by Jeff Lorriman (Jeff) on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 3:16 pm: > > > Yashica FR's take PX-28 or a 4G13 or a 4LR44 depending on who makes >it. It's a 6.2 V silver oxide. Jeff

I just checked the Eveready website and their equivalent to the 4LR44 is an A544, Manganese Dioxide battery, 6 volts. I don't think it's silver oxide.

The A544 is what is in my RTS at the moment and having had the camera since about 1976 I have never had battery leakage. Can't say the same for the batteries in the accessory motor drive.

Quoting another battery source:

Comments: This 4LR44 is a popular alkaline (Manganese Dioxide) cell that is commonly used in cameras.

PX28A, A544, 4LR44, K28A, V34PX, 7H34, 4NZ13, V4034PX, 4034PX, PX28AB, 1414A are equivalent batteries.

>Posted by Mr Wilson Laidlaw (Wilsonlaidlaw) on Wednesday, December 10, >2003 - 4:00 pm: > >Yushke, > >Whichever type of battery you buy, please make sure that it is not a >mercury one. Although these are now banned for environmental reasons >in many countries, they are still sometimes to be found on smaller >photo shop shelves. I am fairly sure, for ex&le, that if you find a >PX28, it will be mercury. When these cells go flat, they very quickly >start to leak a horribly corrosive gel that probably has killed more >cameras in the last thirty years than any other single cause. Also be >careful about lithium cells, as they are often somewhat over-voltage >and that together with their low internal resistance can cause >incorrect readings from the exposure meter and even damage other >electronic components. Avoid the cheaper zinc/air also, as their >performance is distinctly sub-standard. Stick to silver oxide and buy >a known make - Duracell, Fuji, Panasonic, Kodak, Energizer and Renata >are among the best. The 4LR44 is, as you assumed, 4 button cells but >in a neat little sealed tube and therefore, less open to bad contact >than 4 separate cells. Wilson

I still find websites defining the 4LR44 as a manganese dioxide (Alkaline) battery, not silver oxide. Check Google for websites searching just on the battery number.

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/index.htm?http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_4lr44.htm

Gives a good definition and a list of alternatives from various manufacturers.

>Posted by yuske tanaka (Yuske007) on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 4:45 pm: > >Wilson, > >Thank you very much for clarifying that. I didn't know that the PX28, >if available, was mercury based and that it could do such damage.

The Varta 4SR44 Silver Oxide, 6.2 volt battery replaces the Duracell PX28

According to the vendor they have an 8 year shelf life so leakage doesn't seem to be an issue.

I really would urge people not to put manganese batteries in any expensive or high tech equipment. I know that good quality ones rarely leak but I did have an instance some years ago of D******L ones leaking in a reasonably expensive TTL flash gun and just this morning I was doing my annual check of the house emergency equipment (replacing smoke alarm batteries etc) and found that the emergency Maglite we keep beside the house fuse box had one leaking battery even though it still lit up. The batteries were a well known make. Pay those extra few cents or pennies and get silver oxide or lithium if suitable. Wilson

I had new D******L batteries in my 137MA and flash and they nearly all leaked at the same time. I just checked (I don't know why) and foung they had just started leaking. I'll never use them again. I've had good luck with Energizer, Varta and Panasonic.

Time to remove the batteries from some bodies that get little use. No need to find a powerless body AND a messy battery compartment...

Jeff, Why not send the Contax 137 to Duracell? They guarantee their batteries against leakage, and will replace or repair an item. They need to determine that the "device" a/k/a Contax 137 does not recharge the batteries in use (it doesn't). It is worth a try, I know of a number of persons who have benefited from this warranty. Best wishes.

Back