DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

2485 f284 vs 28105mm f35 vs 3570mm f28

mny2002

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am planing to buy a lens soon. But I am not sure which 24-85mm f/2.8-4D, 28-105mm f/3.5-4D or 35-70mm f/2.8D I should buy. Which one is the best? Why? Why not? I would like to hear your opinion and feedback. Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards,
Kian-Guan Au

> Hi there,

I have the 24-85 f2.8/4, and use it on either my FM3a or my F4s. It works beautifully on both bodies, either as AF on the F4s or manually on either camera. I like having f2.8 on the wide end, and f4 is not too shabby for the 85mm. The focal lengths covered are perfect for me, covering landscapes to portraits in one lens. I particularly enjoy having the macro capability on the long end of the zoom - I use it a lot for pictures in the garden, and details of local architecture. Together with the 70-300 ED Zoom, this lens completes a light travel kit for the FM3a.

Hope this helps you in your choice.

Saludos, Robin

Dear Robin,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Yeah, I seem to "eye" on the 24-85 f2.8-4D. Hopefully I would buy a right one soon.

Best Regards,
Kian-Guan Au

I have the 28-105mm and I`m very satisfied, taking in consideration price/quality, this is the best bargain in the market.
Give you the possibility to 1:2 size macro with very acceptable results (even the switch beeing a pain in the a..).
Distortion is under incredible control for a zoom but, vignettes ocasionally (depending how much glass you put in front of the glass) at the long end.
To conclude, if you are searching for an all-around lenses at an amazing price and delivering great results, this is the one to buy.

Cheers

Juba

Back