DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

First impressions Digilux 1

G

What is your experience with the Digilux 1, what is your way of using it?

I don't have one yet but I plan to pick up the Panasonic Lumix LC-5 in black paint. It's full metal (better than the Coolpix 5700) and no shutter lag with unbeatable optical quality. Ironically the Digilux 1 doesn't have the comfortable handling of the Lumix version.

how dus the Digilux 1 comper whith profetional digital camerars ed nikon D1X

I would take a long, hard look before buying the Digilux or Lumix. The lens is only half the story in digital and the other half of the equation for the Digilux and Lumix is not up to the best of other Pro-sumer brands. The image processing, image control, noise, and other salient characteristics of the Panasonic bodies is not there yet. Read the reviews on Digital Review and then try one like I did. My Nikon 5700 and Canon G2 walk all over the Panasonic products right now. I'm not biased when it comes to photo gear. I would love to have a Leica digital if it was up to par electronically. At this point it's not.

Not true. The Lumix I checked gave better picture than that of the Canon G2 ironically. The problem is that most of the people don't tweak the settings beforehand in order to maximize the quality of the images and go with the factory settings which isn't all that good.

Use the following settings:

contrast-low/normal, sharpness-low, saturation-normal

or

contrast-high, sharpness-low, saturation-high

rather than the all-normal settings :D

Settings are, of course, important Albert, but settings don't get rid of the video camera look and noise that Panasonics have been criticized for recently. Look at Photo.net's review at: http://www.photo.net/leica/digilux/ and you'll see what others are saying. A little less critical is cnet.com's at: http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6613935-1332-8917462.html

So this is not just my opinion. There are many more like this. If it were really good, I would buy it. I'll give it another generation of development.

I have a Digilux that I really want to like. I had a G1, looked at a G2 and now Canon announced a G3. I would look at it first before buying a Digilux. The Digilux does have a great screen, great battery life, does not seem to have shutter lag, works with a SF-20 flash and I like the feel of the camera; however, I am not sure the pictures are so good. My Dimage X with half the pixels seems to take better pictures overall.

I think technology is changing so fast, that it might be worth waiting a few months for another choice.

I thought that the G2 was fairly decent but the problem is its durability. I have seen a few G2 crack in its side. At least the Lumix is completely magnesium which is much better build.

The pictures I have seen from the Lumix/Digilux are very sharp and good. Natural colors shine through. The Dimage X is very problematic and I have seen the raw files from that sucker.

I would like to see a Digilux 2 soon but the Lumix is very exceptional at its price point and I think that I am pleased with the images.

It's all a matter of taste. If you like contrasty pictures, Nikon or Canon or Minolta is the way to go. But for good natural looks, Sony or Panasonic have wonderful options.

Lumix I will get. I know that for sure.

Oh and the color fringing on the edge transitions is a resulting on sticking on a much higher quality optical lenses on firmware which isn't sophicated enough to deal with the wonderful lens. Perhaps the reason is that Nikon's lenses with less resolution don't have to worry about overkill than the CCD sensor.

I blew up a Nikon Coolpix 2500 shot from my camera and the edge detail suffers relative to the Panasonic/Leica version. Colors may be a big factor but I can correct that in Photoshop plus I only print in black and white so the artifacts aren't noticeable at all. If you do piezography then the Digilux shots are unbeaten here.

I picked up a Digilux 1 as soon as it became available and use it primarily as a "carry everywhere" camera, much the same as I used to always take a film point-and-shoot with me. My expectations never were that I'd have a camera that would rival the M6 for image quality, so I have been disappointed the way many have. On the other hand, it has produced saleable images on many occasions. As with ALL digital point-and-shoot cameras made today, there is significant noise at ISO settings above 100, but the only solution to that is to put a much more expensive sensor in the camera and raise the price considerably.

So, I've been very happy with the Digilux 1. I find it easy to operate, comfortable to carry and capable of producing high quality images.

Back