DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Travel lens discussion

I have been using the Panasonic 14-140 (the first edition of the 3.5-5.6) on travels for many years and I have found this to offer a nice range with overall good image quality, while remaining very portable. The II edition adds extra weatherproofing, but my first edition has survived the occasional drizzle or waterfall spray. I have considered the Oly 12-200, but it has a considerable weight and size penalty for not that much of extra range.

In FF terms I’d say that 24-120mm can do 95% of what you’d need. The faster, the better. And for that other 5% you probably need 400mm at a minimum.

I travel to Europe frequently and mostly all I take is DX body with a 16-80 f/2.8 which has the same FOV as a 24-120 on FF. If I’m going to shoot inside museums or art galleries I might take a 35mm f/1.8 but generally the zoom gets the job done.

Ireland is a terrific country to visit. Go have a pint of Guinness at Davey Byrnes bar in Dublin!

Typically when travelling I take three lenses 12-24 f4, 24-105 f4/OSS and 100-400.

I would leave the 100-400 at home if I'm staying in the city though, as it's quite obtrusive and heavy.

The 12-24 is very useful for interior shots and situations where you can't zoom with your feet.

I'm going to Ireland in a week. Hitting mostly tourist traps with a few off the beaten path stops.

I'll me toting my M43 gear, but will ask my question in FF terms to collect a general set of responses.

What is the range of focal lengths you would recommend taking (again in FF terms).

If there was a sweet spot range between the high and low, what would that be?

Thanks,

Dan

Might I know what will be your M43 camera? Olympus or Panasonic?

For general travelling, there are 2 10x superzoom from the 2 manufacturers. The Olympys 14-150 f/3.5-5.6 and the Panasonic 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 mk I (non WR) or Mk-II (WR). They offer an equivalent AoV of 28mm~280/300mm that are good for majority of usages.

The O is non IS, so better for the more effective Olympus IBIS. It is also cheaper but has slightly lower IQ than it's counterpart. Having said that, it is still a sharp enough lens.

The P is IS, so better for non IBIS Panasonic bodies. It is also a DUAL IS 2 compatible lens, so work great on DUAL IS or DUAL IS 2 Panasonic bodies for 5~5+ effective stabilization. Even better for G9 etc flagship models. A treat for 280mm EFL lens. It has IQ very similar to the 12~35 f/2.8 or the legendary 14~45 f/3.5-5.6, bet 12~32 f/3.5-5.6, and is better than 45~150 f/4-5.6 and 35~100 f/4-5.6. So it is a very outstanding kit class lens despite it is 10x superzoom.

The P is in similar length to 12-35 f/2.8, only 265g so highly portable.

If you would wish marginal better IQ, don't mind the weight and cost, might look for the O 12-100 f/4. 24-200 EFL is also very convenince for travelling.

There is the compatible IQ Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4. At marginally lower IQ and at a cheaper cost, there is the P 12-60 f/3.5-5.6.

Finally there is the O 12-200, but as per lab test it's IQ stops quickly after 100. But it is the only >10x superzoom of the format. When you need the reach but less concern on IQ, another interesting option.

Last edited:
Back