DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

UV Filters for Contax G Lenses

G

I am accustomed to using a UV protective filter on my lenses, and when I bought a Contax G2 this year I ordered Contax filters for the 28mm, 45mm and 90mm lenses. I have read recently that some Zeiss afficionados are willing to forgo the use of a protective filter (even a contax or B&W filter) to avoid possibly degrading the image quality of these lenses. While I have not noticed any degradation of sharpness or color shifts in my pictures, I have not seen any hard information about this either. Wondering if anyone has experience or thoughts about this?

Hi David,

I almost always use filters (Contax UV) on my Zeiss lenses, mainly for protection. I never saw a negative influence with it in shots made parallel with and without Contax UV filter. But I would not use any other brand, except maybe B&W.

The protection is important, especially if you travel a lot or in sandy/salty environments. As long as you shoot handheld, I doubt whether a human beeing could see any difference, even if there would be one...

dirk

I have a similar question to David. I recently purchased a contax RX. On my f1.4 50mm I put on a B&W UV filter. On top of this I would like to stack just one other filter - a 67mm circular pola via stepup ring. It just seems so cumbersome to always have to remove and put back on the UV filter whenever I want to use a polarizing filter. Anyway, would this compromise the performance of my Zeiss lens.

Every piece of glass that is not part of the integral design of the lens degrades the image to some extent. It is simply a question of degree of degredation and its acceptability to you. Personally I do not stack filters (even high quality B&W or Heliopan). I have paid for the best glass in the world, why not take advantage of what the lens designers have given us. If there is a need for a filter I use one, but a metal lens hood is much better protection in most cases than a UV filter.

Darin

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN CLEANING CONTAX FILTERS, EVER WITH THE HIGH TECH CLOTHS. THE COATING IS VERY THIN AND CAN EASLY BE DAMAGED. IT IS NOT A HARD COATING LIKE SOME FILTERS. STEVE.

Does anyone know if there are titanium coloured filters available other than Contax? Steve Fischer's comment worries me. I have 3 uv and don't particularly take too much care how I clean Them!
Tom

Tom,

there are B+W "pro digital" filters which have the same titanium colour.

Till

Thanks Till... Schneider Optics ( B+W parent) have emailed me info. They say colour is 'chromium'.
rgds
Tom

Tom,

whatever they call it, I have some b&w filters of this line (red, yellow etc.). The B+W 'chromium' may be very slightly off compared to Contax 'titanium', but I think it is near enough.

Till

As far as colors go, the G2 lenses and body colors don't even match perfectly so as long as they are similar it would work fine. Btw - I just use light soap and water to wash my filters and air dry for a day - takes a little bit of skill not to leave spots on but if done correctly it makes the filters like new again.

Back