DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Digilux 2

Hi,

i am thinking of buying a d2, but am a bit worried. I have had bad experiences with digital cameras in the past. I now own a a sony T3 compact digital camera and a Nikon F4.
With the Sony or others it is impossible to shoot any moving objects or shoot spontaneous shoots such as a person blowing candles on a cake. All is blured and out of focus.
Will i experience the same with the d2 or is it much faster. Anyone know how it would compare say with a nikon d70.
I would appreciate a detailed response.

Thank u all and a happy new year.

OLI

I don't know about a "Digilux 3", but Leica has confirmed that it is working on a "digital M", which is expected to have a 10Mp sensor (similar to the R digital back sensor). No specific date has been announced for its release, but it is expected to be 2006. Hopefully it will be better than the Epson RD-1 M-mount Voigtlander clone recently released, which has had some pretty bad reviews.

The review in "Amateur Photographer", the leading UK photo magazine, gave it 74% in its full test two weeks ago. Serious vignetting, unstable metering, among other criticisms.

> Hopefully it will be better than the Epson RD-1 M-mount > Voigtlander clone recently released, which has > had some pretty bad reviews.

Not so bad reviews at all. Even the "Leica Fotografie International" magazine (German edition) published a rather positive review of the RD1 acknowledging it's superiority to the Digilux 2 in some fields (particularly noise)

> I don't know about a "Digilux 3", but Leica has confirmed that it is > working on a "digital M", which is expected to have a 10Mp sensor > (similar to the R digital back sensor). No specific date has been > announced for its release, but it is expected to be 2006.

In a recent interview published in the "Leica Fotografie International" magazine 1/2005, German edition, Leica Chief Executive Ralf Coenen launched the idea of a Leica Warranty for second hand equipment after inspection by the Leica Customer Service. This to facilitate first time access to Leica gear rather than building a stripped down entry level Leica.

Dear Peter,

So far as the Epson RD-1 is concerned, I am simply reporting the opinion of the leading British magazine: they didn't particularly like it. Indeed, their review of the Digilux 2 was less than enthusiastic, although the reviewer admitted privately that she expects more of Leicas because Leica expects its customers to pay so much more. It has to be said, that having myself recently handled a Nikon D70, which costs less than half a Digilux 2, she has a point.

> Felipe, not sure how you consider that the D70 costs less than half > the Digilux 2 -- looking at Adorama tonight the D2 sells for US$1850, > and the D70 body alone sells for $999.95. With a relatively similar > lens (in terms of focal length coverage and f-stop, not necessarily > Leica level quality) it is going to be close to the same price. The > Digilux 2 has certainly gotten mixed reviews, but it shouldn't also be > tarred by an inaccurate cost comparison.

> [Perhaps it would be better to say that you're simply quoting the remarks > of one person who happens to write for Britain's best known photographic > magazine. We all have opinions, or should have. When we assume that the > opinion of others are neccersarily representative of a larger whole, then > we have to be careful where that might lead... I think that AP have quite a difficulty trying to understand the rationale of a rangefinder setup, let alone the machinations of a German (as opposed to Japanese) manufacturer, they ofetn struggle to enjoy these designs but some of us do! Jem Kime]

Back