DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Digilux 2

hi,

can anyone answer my query on how quick is the d2 when shooting moving object?
how does it compare to digital slr's?

thank's.

oli

[Oli asked: Subject: Digilux 2 > Posted by oli (Olivier) > can anyone answer my query on how quick is the d2 when shooting moving > object? how does it compare to digital slr's?<<<<<

Hi oli, I don't know about comparing it to an SLR is fair, even though I'm now using a 20D and Leica glass along with my R8's and M7's, but with LEICA-EOS adapters from Stephen Gandy it's a new ball game shooting using the 20D with Leica glass. However, the Dig2?

The Digilux 2 works extremely well for shooting basket ball! :) I trust this is fast enough? ;-) Yeah I know surprise, as it's pretty fast moving to get them sharp and peak action! Piece of cake! Yep and capturing the players off the ground making hoop dunk shots, all the time!

Yeah I know about the digi shutter delay-auto focus thing but when people complain about this, it points to......" they don't know how to handle and use the camera!" Period! Simply that's their problem! The bonus with the 20D SLR is being able to use Leica lenses and a much higher ASA at 3200 when it's needed. Yeah I know there are some folks who'll go on about that "crap noise stuff" And once again it merely points up they don't know how to use it properly! :)

I found the Digilux 2 a far better camera while "shooting actual real-time assignments" Than the clap trap reviews of photo magazine reviewer's who take a new camera, make a few happy snaps of flowers , rocks and ferns, occasionaly a happy snap people picture and then make negative comments about how good the camera is.

The best reviews come from real users and not office people reviewers.

I trust this answers some of the questions on the Digilux 2 for everybody. ted]

Obviously, you need to be educated as to what the effect shutter delay has on photographing subjects with unpredictable motion.

The speed of the film (i.e. "ASA at 3200") has absolutely no advantage on a subject as unpredictable as toddler if the shutter delay is greater than 500 milliseconds. In that span of time the toddler may have completely moved out of the frame. This is especially exacerbated using an SLR since a viewfinder generally allows the photographer to view the scene beyond the size of the frame (as opposed to film SLRs which for the most part capture less than 100% of the picture frame).

Still, using a viewfinder only allows the photographer to predict when the subject has entered the field. People using digital cameras must predict the time the shutter will actually snap to frame the moving subject properly.

Generally, people using autofocus will suffer the most from shutter lag (about 1S shutter lag) followed by people using manual focus (about 400mS shutter lag). By prefocusing the camera you will obtain the fastest response (still around 100 mS shutter lag).

Bottom line is that different modes are affected by the shutter lag and has nothing to do with whether the photographer knows how to "handle and use" their camera. When photographing unpredictable subjects where prefocusing is not available you WILL be affected by shutter lag.

hi,

anyone know if the epson p2000 can store raw files from the digilux 2.
if no, which portable device is best for digilux 2.
thank u.

oli

Its probably a tad too early for this topic but I have to ask: has anyone heard any thing about a possible Leica Digilux 3?

Bill.

...picture quality can't get any better than the D2. All they'll change is the styling. That's the problem with digital photography...only so many pixels to go around. Time to go back to film.

having read all your comments, perhaps i could offer a few; I have had the Digilux 2 for two years now. It is brilliant for some things, and not so good for others. i still rely on an R7, and the M6 for serious work. yes, you can take SOME action shots with the D2, but you better be thinking pretty quickly ! I would like to see a real macro set up, instead of what we have, though. The lens is very sharp, and is certainly good enough for magazine work. ( I have had several shots published) and some art folders for various companies. But, I hasten to add, I still use film equally with digital, in fact i had to agree to use both formats, before i could work !

Back