DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SPP 3.5/3.3 Difference from earlier versions

OyvindS

Hi

A small difference that can be easily overlooked.
When Clicking "Show warnings", you will see no warnings, unless you change the default values to something else than 0 and 255.
In earlier versions the default values was set otherwise.
What the justification for this change is, I do not know.

kind regards
ØyvindS

The exposure warning range can be anything you want. I see no problem with the as installed defaults being 0 and 255, since you can set a range which suites your work at the time. The only limitation is that the lower and upper range settings can't overlap.

Here is a question that I'm curious about. Why does SPP use image values in the range from 0 to 255, corresponding to 8 bits per channel, and not 0 to 4095, corresponding to the 12 bit ADCs in the SD14 ?

While at it, when saving 16 bit per channel images, does SPP perform a 4 bit shift, a multiply by 16, or nothing at all leaving the dark yet unaltered to expand the 12 bit ADC data into the 16 bit 0 to 65535 dynamic range ? I hope they perform a bit shift because a multiply would increase the noise. Ideally, I'd prefer they would allow the photographer to choose. For my astrophotography, I could easily live with the upper 4 bits being 0.

Here is a question that I'm curious about. Why does SPP use image values in the range from 0 to 255, corresponding to 8 bits per channel, and not 0 to 4095, corresponding to the 12 bit ADCs in the SD14 ?
Common practice - most image editors show you range 0-255 independent of bit depth. Much comfortable to follow IMHO.

While at it, when saving 16 bit per channel images, does SPP perform a 4 bit shift, a multiply by 16, or nothing at all leaving the dark yet unaltered to expand the 12 bit ADC data into the 16 bit 0 to 65535 dynamic range ? I hope they perform a bit shift because a multiply would increase the noise.

4bit shift (to left) and multiply by 16 are exactly identical operations :)
But actual processing pipeline is much more complex than just saving raw data, some major possible steps:

1. X3F - linear RGB (or XYZ) colorspace conversion by aggressive matrix (probably different matrices for different ISO and WB settings);
2. Saturation, color, fill light etc etc adjustments in linear color space;
3. Output colorspace conversion from linear to sRGB/Adobe space.

Add there needed linearizations, noise suppression, green corner suppression (and probably many more things, what I'm not aware of) - you don't have any pure raw data on output anyway :)

I am curious to know what exposure warning ranges most people use. Under what circumstances do you change them? Do you always change them symmetrically (e.g., +10 blue, -10 red)? Do you just set them once and leave them (like me)?

How can this functionality best be put to use?

Jesse

Back