DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Wireless flash

copilus

Hi to all!
I've tried not to bother you again, but I've read too many about this cammera (SD14) and I'm confused.
Some reviewers say that it doesn't even has a depth-of-field preview function:z04_smileys26:.

Now comes my questions: Does the SD14 have an internal flash commander (like some nikons) or it needs a "Super" flash to do it? And wich flashes work as slave?

For example, on a Nikon D80, I could use a SB-600 as slave controlled by on-camera flash.
On D40x I needed a SB-800/SU-800 to commnad the slave SB-600 'cause the cammera's flash couldn't command the SB-600.

You can use the Sigma Super DG 530 flash in a quasi mode....or what I decided to do is just invest in a cheap set of flash Triggers PT-04CN...

Ebay Link for Flash Triggers

What I like about these little jems....I have a combination of nikon and sigma flashes...and these guys will let me use them all together....

Sigma for Sigma Super DG 500
Sigma for Sigma DG 500

Nikon SB-23
Nikon SB-23

Digital for Nikon Flash

and the commander module will work on both my Sigma camera's and Nikon ones....

The other thing is the company that sells them...always returns emails....

Hope this helps...

Tony C.

Tony.

The only trade off with the PT-04CN is the flash intensities need to be set manually. Or are the Sigma flash units in manual mode when used wireless ?

( I have yet to buy a hot shoe flash )

Can you please confirm if this is the case ?

I'd just like to keep it simple. I'm form Romania, and we, romanians have a very bad external image because of some gipsies with romanian nationality who after the comunism falled in our country (1989) they emigrated and did nasty things in other contries. Of course some romanians "with guts" folowed them, and even today we have big problems with them (in Italy for example).:sad:
So, we have some moral embargo and of course, our cards are allways rejected and we all have to suffer. That means I cannot buy or sell on ebay or, even if I could it would be verry harsh. I only can buy original SIGMA gear. I didn't found any locar retailer for flash triggers so only the SIGMA flashes will do for me.

Back to our (my) problems:
I undersand that only the "Super" flashes can be used in both commander and slave modes.

Steaphany....yes you have manually set them...not to bad once you get used to it....

Copilus .. I don't mind helping but you can contact the seller directly...and see what they are willing to do...

Hi Copilus,
back to your question :
Yes the internal flash of the SD14 works as a commander for EF500 /EF530.
I have used the EF500 Super so far with good results.
Funny enough,a Canon Speedlite 430EX II workes as well as a slave.
The image is just to show the 430EX II at the left and the Sigma EF500 at the right,both wireless triggered by the internal flash of the SD14 .:)
View attachment 1605
Regards
Uwe

Attachments

• SDIM2253_001.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM2253_001.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 8
The cheap solution ....

Hi Copilus.

wireless flashing can be very easy and cheap at the same time.

Just go for an ancient Computer-Flash kike this and a photo-trigger cube.

View attachment 1606

Both should be available in Romania, too?!

CAUTION:

Be careful with old flashes when triggering them directly with your D-SLR.

many of trhem do .... some do not, because of much too high trigger voltages! Up to 25V trigger voltage is harmless to your SD! Do not use any flashes that expose your cam to higher voltages!

Here are two lists for the old ones!!

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

http://blitzlounge.gedoweb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=43

When using them remotely (triggered with the photo-cell) their trigger-voltage is meaningless .... just do not wire anything above 25V to your SIGMA-Digital-Cam.:)

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• Sample 9.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 9.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks allot!
Klaus-R: I've found a "Seagull SYK-3 Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Optical Slave Trigger/Remote Controller" wich looks exactly like the one in your picture on an auction site (something like ebay but local).
netuser: Only the "Super" versions works as slave?

Hi Copilus,
I´m not shure if the EF500 (without Super) will work as slave,
as I have not had one.
Maybe somebody else can confirm that.
On the Sigma site there is only the EF500 Super manual for download.
Regards
Uwe

500 Super, not 530 Super

My experience was that I could not get the 530 Super to work in wireless mode. As it turned out neither could anyone else I contacted. I sent it back and got two 500 Supers that work wonderfully.

As a caveat, that was about a year ago and I don't know if the issue with the 530's has been corrected or not.

Yukoner

Back