DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Black G2

coodeville

The Contax rep said there is always a chance of more black G2's coming out of the factory. When were the first ones made?

I wonder how Contax makes the decision to produce more?

K Michael,
I imported my black G2 outfit from Singapore in 1997 and I think it was among the first.
John

I've just looked back at my computer files for The Contax Postal Club Newsletters for 1996 1997 and found the material I was sent by KY UK.

Here in the UK, I was sent the glossy leaflet for the Black Kit in Sept 1997 before the leaflet hit the shops. I noticed my article made reference to it as a possible "Christmas present".

So late 1997 seems the UK release date.

Cheers, Bob.

There is another version of, black laquer. This will have in the future a much higer collector value because thise version is already a really hard to get and rare item.

I think its not new production. The original price of the "black G2 kit " was out of touch with the market(as Contax always seems to be). So probably there are still many kits left in factory inventory. As Contax and film sales drop, this is the time to unload them. Lets see if they are listed at B&H under their factory special promos. At a good price ,its interesting otherwise it will be another Contax rip-off. Lets see!

I have a black G2. I purchased it with the TLA200 and the 35-70 zoom. I got it for $1200. I purchased mine used. The former owner was a surgeon who owned it for 3 months. He ddin't carefor it. He showed me the original bill of sale. It's a shame he threw out all the boxes.

If anyone is interested, I have a black G2 system - body/28/45/90/flash/case - in EX+++ shape that I'm selling once I get back to the States next week. I've also got a black 35-70 zoom sold seperately.. Outfit 1600$; zoom $700.

I didn't think that the price of the G2 was out of touch with the market when compared to competitors like the Leica M and the Hexar.
I don't think that COntax C/Y lenses or bodies are out of touch either when compared with other systems high end ranges.
John

<I think its not new production. The original price of the "black G2 kit " was out of touch with the market(as Contax always seems to be). So probably there are still many kits left in factory inventory>

Actually, Contax is playing pretty good trick to sell a black body at a higher price. Today, Hasselblad chrome bodies out sell the black bodies offered at the same price. Lecia's also sells black bodies for the same price as chrome.

Regards:

Gilbert

Back