DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Production "Avenue Q"

Tom Caldwell

Currently playing at Coffs Harbour Australia
PG9_4187-res4.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-G9
  • 150.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/200 sec
  • Other
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 320

Very obviously new to uploading image on this site. The "Avenue Q" image was with a Panasonic G9 and Olympus 40-150/2.8 and the "Heathers" image was a GX7 (!) not sure of the lens but it was probably the same one. All my theatre images come from the very back row of a small theatre using telephoto lenses. This gets me above stage height so that I am not 'looking up' on my subjects (better angle of view). I am also so far away in the dark that my presence is not disturbing the actors.

Great shots Tom!

Re uploading shots, I ran into the size limit with some of mine (FF shots from the S5) so I just linked to them from Flickr, which seems to display them ok.

When in doubt read the instructions ... I made progress - the first image was about 50 bytes over the limit so I thought that I might wing it , but of course got caught out. Then I managed a postage stamp ... then it was various sizes too small and finally I managed to get it reasonably right. Then the second image was actually 18Mb but I managed to resize it quicker. The system that I use to resize is flexible in some ways but not so good in others. It does use bit % jumps for resizing by percentage and I cannot check the revised size without several key presses to do so. Ten cancal and start all over again ... but I can use maximum edge size and it will keep proportions exact. With dpreview I just chucked the image at the site and it worked it out for me.

But I will assume a patient approach - Dirk is pretty busy just getting the show off the ground.

I have a whole stack of stuff on Flickr all of which is at least eight years old. I could try uploading some of them - all my own work ....

Well I was being lazy, i.e. I didn't want to spend time trying to re-size images to fit, so I just upload them to Flickr, which I would normally do anyway, and simply use the BBCode shortcut that Flickr provides on the share shortcut and drop the link into the post.

Very obviously new to uploading image on this site. The "Avenue Q" image was with a Panasonic G9 and Olympus 40-150/2.8 and the "Heathers" image was a GX7 (!) not sure of the lens but it was probably the same one. All my theatre images come from the very back row of a small theatre using telephoto lenses. This gets me above stage height so that I am not 'looking up' on my subjects (better angle of view). I am also so far away in the dark that my presence is not disturbing the actors.
Great photos Tom!

Cheers
Paul

Nice shots, Tom.

GX7 indeed is still a very capable camera IMHO. The only downside vs its newer siblings could be the AA filter. If you shot RAW and do the conversion properly, the different in sharpness would be very minimal to none. Specially under the current uploading policy here, a downsized image could eliminate every difference on sharpness between AA filter sensor and no AA filter sensor. :z04-975:

Thank you for sharing and looking forward to see more beautiful images from you soon. :daumenhoch:

Back