DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Problems with new 256mb xd cards

deanjudi

I have a c60 zoom 6.1 meg camera which came with a 32mb xd card. My laptop has a smart media card reader (builtin) and I use a "media gear" smart media adapter to read the xd card. I recently purchased a 256mb xd card (olympus brand). I was able to take pictures but the card reader could not recognize that the card had anything on it. I reformatted the card, still same results. It appears that the new 256mb card does not have the standard directory and sub-directory on it. (ie. "dcim" & "100olymp"). I returned that card and exchanged it for another. Same results on the new card. Help!!!

>Dear Dean, 1. Your 256MB xD Picture Cards uses different FAT, than old SM cards. (Can you read SM cards with your adapter greater than 64MB? Did you try to download new driver for the adapter?) 2. The highest capacity of SM (brand) cards is 128 MB. Maybe thats why the adapter can not read the xD card. If you can play back the taken pictures on C-60Z, there is no problem with the xD card and the camera! Try to use another card reader (or adapter), or download the pictures directly from the camera (using the USB cable). Or try to look for a new driver for your card reader! Nadi

> Thank you for your answer. We had begun to suspect this might be the problem but we did not know about the new driver.

Back