DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

Here's the official Contax Rebate Flier that shows not only the N1D Rebates......and other Contax rebates across the entire line!!!! Hope this clears up the rumors!!<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_pdf.gif
PDF File "Contax Rebate Flier
Contax Rebate flier.pdf (37.2 k)</td></tr></table></center>

To Bert: RAW images ARE untagged, but when you develop them into 32bit tiffs with an Adobe RGB mode selected, the Kodak ICC profile is assigned by RAW Developer. I know, this is stupid... Any normal imaging software for professional use is supposed to have a provision for selecting a specific ICC profile manually. My hugs and kisses to Kyocera software development team.

To Marc Williams: Marc, don't you worry, we will get your ND going
happy.gif
I am also pretty andgy at Contax for this price drop thing, but, I guess, you just cannot win in a situation like this
sad.gif
In any case, I saved at least a grand on film and processing, not to mention, time, since I bought this camera in July.

Yesterday I bought a British magasine, Digital Photo or something... Thay had a review on Contax ND. Even though it was all drumming nice, they too mentioned noise problem at ISO400. I do not understand what is this all about - my ISO400 shots, if properly exposed, look way better than 35mm Supra400 prints of the same size. Marc Williams will back me up on this one because he has seen at least two 8.5x11 prints made from ISO400 JPEG1 (!) files that look totally grainless. There are two tricks, though. First, exposure must be perfect, and second, at higher ISO exposure latitude seem to get narrower, so keep this in mind.

75000 miles on a Vaga is about 3-5 fives years of use for the typical driver; an unfair comparison for what is supposed to be the best camera company around.

there are definitely two sets of opinions out there about this camera. those who own one and have learned to use it enjoy it, others just bash the camera. as soon as my battery situation was resolved, all is well with!! my pics with the camera takes a lot less post processing (my time) than other digital camera.

I had a 71 or 72 Vega station wagon with the GT option - if I recall the price was $2900. I installed high-performance headers and a 4-barrel carb and manifold, and the thing had so much wheel hop coming off the line (a.k.a. the red light) it would just sit there jumping up and down like a low rider
happy.gif

Irakly is absolutely right about the ISO 400, but I think Marc is saying that he gets better quality out of the Canon Powershot G3 even without the fuss about proper exposure. Marc, can you verify with a quick test that all parameters (detail, tonal range, etc. as well as noise) are improved on the G3 at ISO 400? I have a G1 and will at some point migrate to a better P&S, and will probably choose between the upcoming TVS and a G3.

The sun is out in NYC - I'm off to Long Island to shoot some muddy wild life preserves. Let's see what comes out.

Cheers,

DJ

>

My original question stands. Would you be better off if they kept the price high?

Obviously you and many others would be _happier_, but that is not the same thing.

Irakly is a good voice of reason here. Yes I have seen some decent ISO 400 shots at 8X10, but as he says, he works at it. All the work I have do with a D1-X
is press the ISO button (and that is for 11X14 prints).

Mehrdad, Regarding 2 c&s: the way you state that , it's as if those angry about the camera's performance never used it. The camera has issues, and Contax is doing little to correct it or communicate with it's customers. Maybe if enough people step up to the plate and bitch, someone will listen. It sounds to me like you are "whistling past the graveyard", as if nothing was wrong.

If you are indeed pleased as punch, you must have learned a secret to setting up this camera that many of us do not know. To say it takes less post processing time than other cameras goes against every review of this camera I've read, and the experiences of many users I've talked to. I've extensively shot with a number of the SLR digital cameras: Canon D30 & 1D, Fuji S1, Nikon D1-X and 2 Kodak DCS Probacks. None of them require the post work this camera requires, or a degree from MIT to set them up.

Irakly is going to come to my studio and review all my settings and software configurations. To bad everyone out there doesn't have a computer genius like him to configure their ND for them.

Back