DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SPP 3.5 and SPP 3.3

Thanks Uwe

I took a look at the Sigma Support Download page and apart from mentioning DP2 support plus "new functions", they really don't say very much.

Has anyone decided to give it a try ?

Hi Steaphny,
at a first glance I see:
under the preview is a slider for stepless size of the previews,
the magnifier function has improved,the field can be set to s m l ,
and the size of the whole picture can be adjusted up to 1600%
Batch renaming is possible,
if you convert a picture to jpg it automaticly jumps to the folder of origin,
the function "coloradjust" ,if I translate it correctly,is only available for the DP2 and SD15
I think it is worth to give it a try,as SPP2.5 can stay installed.
Regards
Uwe

I have SPP 3.5 installed and it crashed when I opened the first X3F file, shortly afterwards DrWatson crashed while trying to report the problem to Microsoft.

I never had this happen with the old SPP, I'm now waiting for it to finishing opening the file so I can see what is new.

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for the link. :) and for the info about the updated features. The download page mentioned faster display of the thumbnails and operation. For the faster display of large folders alone interests me, and it would be nice for faster rendering of the raws too. I am going to give a test drive.

I am downloading it now, thanks again.

Robert

Hi Uwe,

Download, Install, Reboot.

Works nicely, the ability now to scale view of entire photo is going to prove very functional. I like it very much. :) :) :)
It did seem to thumbnail preview a folder of >600 photos faster. I did not do a time study, just a feeling from the experience of wait.

Also, the rendering of the raw adjustment is snappy, and there is a navigation do-hicky to go with the large preview. SWEET!

This is only what I saw after playing shortly with one photo and opening one folder. The short story - - I like what I see.

However, I do wish to change the point of origin save to last location of save; that will be a project for another night when it is not so late and I have more time to look through the software.

And again, thank you for posting this info!

Robert

I have SPP 3.5 installed and it crashed when I opened the first X3F file, shortly afterwards DrWatson crashed while trying to report the problem to Microsoft.

I never had this happen with the old SPP, I'm now waiting for it to finishing opening the file so I can see what is new.

@ Steaphany: Did you do a reboot after installation?
I had no problems at all on 3 PCs and one start right of a USB-stick,standalone without installation

@ all : another good thing is the conversion to jpg.It is very quick.
In the preview window,mark all images, right click,convert to jpg ahd there you go.
Also printing is possible now.
Regards
Uwe

Uwe,

No, I did not reboot after completing the installation. As an application with out device drivers or system files, I did not think a reboot was necessary.

I am getting comfortable with SPP 3.5, it has a nice full screen slide show, recognizes more than X3F, JPG, and TIF files and I can open a directory with the thumb nail view containing a AVI video, double click on it and SPP will start up Irfanview to load and play the video. You even have a choice under the preferences to specify the default or another movie player.

For me, opening a X3F file still takes a bit of time. At least the progress bar gives an idea how far along it is. I never played much with the White Balance in SPP 2.5, especially when I found that changes are immediately saved to the original X3F file, but I've noticed that SPP3.5 has a monochrome which, in combination with the Color Adjustment, can create some interesting tinted B&W effects.

Since my initial instability has cleared up, it looks pretty good.

Pros and Cons

Hi

Based on some intesive posting on another forum, here are som key points:

* If you have blown highlights in a picture, 3.5 are incapable of recovering this, actually reenders it rather ugly. Older versions seems to add "false info" to these areas.

* Handling of bright red seems better.

* It has corrected an error in the save as double algoritm

* It cannot coexist with 3.0 (win)

* Robert, you can have it to remember the last location. I think under Properties.

I will wait a bit before I go to 3.5. Seemingly, Sigma/Foveon is working on the highlight issue. I still use SPP 3.0, due to the print and zoom functionality.

kind regards
Øyvind

Hi OyvindS,

* Robert, you can have it to remember the last location. I think under Properties.
maybe because I am very tired, but I just don't see properties in the file menu items. He always go back to the address of origin.

Robert

To anyone: also, you can no longer set focus just below the main menu and then use the left right arrow keys to navigate backwards or forwards through your files in the current folder. On my machine the first press of the arrow keys causes artifacts just below the main menu. Any one got same? if not, tomorrow I will uninstall, reinstall, reboot.

g'night

Back