DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Lens selection

When purchasing a used item either through eBay or a reseller, is there a way to determine if it is a gray market item? Different serial number sequence or codes?

If you get a gray market lens, you will have to send the lens to a third party repair shop and NOT a Nikon Authorized Repair Center. It is the same as having your BMW or Toyota fixed at Stubby's Repair Shop and Ice Cream Parlor -- you may or may not get someone qualified to repair the item. B&H, Adorama and the other "reputable" sellers usually are good (doing the repairs themself or farming it out to someone they trust), but many of the others are iffy, at best. Nikon Authorized Centers have been trained by Nikon and have all the support available from Nikon. Gray market is ok if it is a piece of equipment that doesn't have a lot of moving parts, but more complex and costly items may be best with the US version and piece of mind.

Just a few days ago I bought my first SLR - FM3A (new) and planned to buy 50mm f/1.8 (MF) new as well, but the seller offered a used one for very good price. Lens looks ok with no scratches on it, except when I rotate the aperture ring it sounds like it has sand underneath. Is this lens worth to bye? (seller dives a year warranty on it)
Thank you.

Olia,

I'd get the new for $120 with the extra years of Nikon warranty. = Sounds as though that used lens has problems. I use the AF version on = my F3HP which sells for $90 new and is sharper--according to photodo.com = anyway.

Tom Sullivan

type your text here!

You never know what you are getting when you buy a used lens, especially on eBay, because you never meet the seller and cannot see the lens before you purchase it. The lens could have been dropped, gotten wet, been owned by many people, etc. Used lenses on eBay are surprisingly expensive. They cost about 2/3 the price of a new lens at B&H, plus they are without a warranty. Gray market lenses are fine and can be repaired conveniently, if necessary. Many reputable shops need the business. I believe it is much smarter to spend a little more for a new lens, with or without warranty. It will be perfect and you can always sell it on eBay if you want to.

Prime lens, which is great quality.

Indoor: Nikkor AF 35mm F2.0D
Outdoor: Nikkor AF 85mm F1.4D

Compermise solution:

* Nikkor AF 35-70mm F2.8D less budget, light weight (635g), cover most of the range, quality as good as prime lens.

Best choice-if it's not too havey and expensive for you:

Nikkor 28-70mm F2.8D, heavy, but quality as good as prime as well.

Back