DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Question On Carle Zeiss 28-70/F3.5-4.5 Vario Sonnar Macro

Dermot, Marc and others:

Thanks for the information so far. Would those of you with experience help me make a decision here? As I've said, I have the CZ 28/2.8, the CZ 50/1.7, and then jump to the CZ 80-200/4. I also have a Yashica ML 28-85/3.5-4.5 that I used overseas recently and made some pretty satisfying images with, but not sure how it would compare to the CZ zoom of the same range.

I have a line on CZ 28-70 (under 300 USD), a CZ 28-85 (around $500) and a CZ 85mm prime (again under $300). If you guys were making your next CZ acquisition in my position, which would it be or which combination, or would you pursue another CZ lens instead? Again, I like street scenes and the occasional informal portrait. I have very little use for anything over 200mm. Thanks for the input, and I hope this question isn't too elementary for the group.

Tom only you can make the final decision here, looks to me like you have a wide range covered. You already have a 28-85 zoom and you are happy with the results. most of the slight differences here in lens quality cannot be seen by a lot of people.

So if you can afford the best then go for it, but going back to your original question, you talk about street shooting (what does this mean to you) it's easier with fast primes, thats why we have lenses like the 35mm 1.4. If you are set on the zoom then at under $300 I doubt you can go wrong with the 28-70, some people are paying that for a lens hood and a polarizing filter.

I have the CZ 28-85mm and it's a great lens, but I would tend to agree with Tom, the 28-85mm lens you have produces satisfying photos already. The improvement with the CZ equivalent would be marginal, and probably not worth $500 to you.

I think a fast prime, either 35mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.4 would be a more useful addition to your quiver.

Gee, Dermot, so if we really like the 35-70 we shoot test charts and not real life subjects? C'mon, dude, cut us a little slack
happy.gif
! Maybe we appreciate the beautiful contrast and color, sharpness, flare control and very nice macro to boot in a nice compact package.

Tom,
I tested the CZ 28-70mm and I have to say it has slight CA from 28mm to 50mm and once you are at 70mm the CA goes away. It is a nice small compact lens but I would recommend the CZ vario-sonnar 35-70mm macro. This Vario-Sonnar 35-70mm F3.4 macro has very well control CA and it is very sharp lens. There are two zoom lens from Contax that I love and they are very unique that to me it is not a question wheather it is worthy to get and have to manually focus and they are:
1) Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 35-70mm F3.4 Macro
2) Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 70-210mm F3.5 Macro.

These zoom lens are simply unique in the own ways that I have to get them despite being a prime lens person.

-Son

I realize that, Dermot, hence the smiley. Just being a tad obnoxious
biggrin.gif
. Everybody's got their favorites! Tomorrow I have to go out to my favorite wildlife preserve. Now to decide what to take - what a chore! The bag has gotten real heavy!

Dermot,

I was swayed by your regard for the CZ 85mm/2.8 prime, and was the successful bidder on one from Australia at what I thought was a really good price last night. Can't wait for it to get here. Did not get a MM type, which is a little disappointing since I use 167's, but I don't really think its a big deal. Should have grabbed yours while you were in a selling mood.
happy.gif

I looked at shots again from my Yashica 28-85 and thought about what you and others said. I'm not sure for the kind of shots I'd take with it that its worth $500 plus to upgrade that lens to the CZ unit, and the last two on e-bay have gone off at close to $600.

I've never owned an 85mm prime lens before and I think it will be fun to see how much I use it. As you said, its small enough to travel with and it should be good for the informal portrait shots I like to take.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Tom

Back