DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Question On Carle Zeiss 28-70/F3.5-4.5 Vario Sonnar Macro

Tom,
I have an 85/2.8. It is a lovely lens and I am sure you will love it. I could almost use mine as my standard lens as I like that extra bit of reach and the perspective effect it gives. It is very sharp and light and easy to manage.
John

In my earlier RTS days, the 85 1.4 was my "normal" lens. After the RTS III came out, I later got the 35-135 and that became my "normal". Actually the avatar photo on the left is a crop, and if you could follow the right arm you'd see the RTS III / 35-135 combo attached to it
happy.gif

I hope you enjoy the 85 - there's much to like!

Hey Guys,

In addition to the CZ 85/2.8, another e-bay auction at the same time yielded a CZ 135/2.8 in like new shape for $165. I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with it, but I figured at that price it wouldn't hurt to add to my CZ primes and play with it.

I'm also looking at a 25/2.8 Distagon which I believe I can buy pretty cheaply. I already have a CZ 28mm/2.8...from anyone out there who has used this focal length, is there really that much difference between these two lenses?

Once again, thanks to everyone for their advice.

There's a big diff in the view between 28mm and 25mm. I use both. But note that the 28mm 2.8 noticeably outperforms the 25mm in corner to corner sharpness.

I agree with DJ that 25's corner performance is not that good.

I found a certain application of 25 which is definitely better than 28. I shoot large flowers in close distance with 21 at .22m, 25 at .25m 28 at .25m. As I am shooting flowers, corner sharpest is less important. I found that 25 outperforms the rest. 21 gives a strange look because I come too near and 28 is just not wide enough. I certainly recommends 25 in this kind of shooting.
I like my 85 2.8. It has a better skin tone than my 85 1.4 at 2.8. It is also sharp enough to allow good magnification.

Back