DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

3570 mm f 4 any experiences

Not easy but possible.

25% of the 1,800 shots were taken with a polarizer on the 1:4/35-70 to reduce the summer haze.

> Not easy but possible.

Justin,

Please explain. I'm interested.

Lucien

Lucien,

After mounting the E60 polarising-filter and replacing the lens-hood, focus the lens first as the optical cell rotates.

Then set the lens at the 35mm position which moves the optics to the most prominent position. It is then quite easy to rotate the filter by moving the edge of the filter mount.

Finally select the focal length appropriate.

Like all procedures it sounds more difficult than it is and after a few shots becomes automatic.

If all that is too hard, just remove and replace the lenshood when necessary. Pity it is not bayonet mounted.

Do you own the lens yet?

Justin

Remember the op

> Do you own the lens yet?

No, just because of that.

The have redesigned the 35-70/3,5 to permit the use of a Pol Filter without vignetting and then they came with that 35-70/4.

Bizarre...

I will wait until they redesign it.

;-)

Lucien

Lucien,

The f/4 lens does not vignette with the filter attached.

A redesign should be to allow a detachable lens-hood. The present screw-in design is a cheap solution.

I will be surprised if Leica redesigns the lens mount.

Regards,

Justin

Has anyone had experience using the 35-70/F4 with circular polarising filter but WITHOUT the lens hood - for ease of using the filter? Is it hazardous in terms of flare etc? David

> [It is possible but not very convenient. I do use the hood with the polarizer. I almost only use the polarizer for landscapes, so the focus is at infinity. This helps a lot because the frontlens is turning when you focus. I then set the zoom so that the frontlens is to the front as much as possible. Then I can turn the polarizer and zoom back to the position I need. Best regards, Michiel Fokkema ]

> I used to use a polariser all the time on my Olympus Zuiko 35-70 plus lenshood plus occasional extra filter - and of course it vignetted like hell. I now use just a lenshood on my M3. I think vignetting is more of a risk than flare. BTW, can one use zooms on a Leicaflex SL?

Dear David,

I use the polarizer with my 35-70/4 with the lens-hood in position. The polarizer is adjusted with the lens focused in the 35mm position when the filter can be moved by its edge. Then adjust the focal length. It sounds more awkward than it is.

As does Michael it is mostly used for removing haze with landscapes so infinity or something in that range.

Justin

Thank you all! i will proceed and buy my filter. I think too, that with most opportunities being landscapes at infinity, it won't be too hard to keep focus accurate.

Thank you,
David

Back