CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

"Fabric Macro"...

foveonfan

...of a vineyard near where I live. Standing on an elevated lookout, with the vineyards a couple of kilometres away, and my 50 - 500mm fully extended.

Well, doesn't it look like a piece of cloth viewed with a macro lens, eh? ;)

Sincere regards, Jim R

Attachments

• Fabric Pattern.jpg
    Fabric Pattern.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 14

jesito

Really...
Was what I thought at first when I saw it... "A green jeans fabric", nice shot!.

Jes.

netzuser

Banned
It´s amazing to see what one has in his mind when looking at an even structure isoltated from the surrounding.
My first idea was " a pice of carpet".
Nice shot and view to surprise. That must be a very large field.
Regards
Uwe

foveonfan

Well, Uwe, here is an overall shot with the vineyard centre left, almost completely in cloud shadow. Because of the 10mm FOV it's difficult to relate to the scale, but we like to boast like Texans that everything is "bigger" here. ;)

Sincere regards, Jim R

Attachments

• Powers LO 1.jpg
    Powers LO 1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 8

netzuser

Banned
Thanks for the overview Jim,
now I can stop turning the globe to find that field :)
Yes, really I spent some time to "fly" over Wodonga with Google Eath.
Have a good time
Uwe

foveonfan

I had to smile when reading your response, Uwe, because when I said that the scene was near where I lived, I completely ignored that my perspective of "near where I live" and your equivalent are not identical. This location is more than 1 hour's drive from Wodonga, but us Ozzies think that's still "local". We think nothing of driving 3 - 4 hours to visit someone. :)

Anyway, here is the 180 degree version of the view, made up of 3 X 10mm wide angle frames.

Sincere regards, Jim R

Attachments

• Powers LO 180.jpg
    Powers LO 180.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 15

laurence2

Jim, I had to pause and look when your panoramic image came up full-screen. Simply a gorgeous rendition of a superlative landscape. The sky shows such a "true" shade of blue to me, and the whole image seems to have the SNAP of highly controlled contrast.

By the way, I am new here (registered a few minutes ago), and I'll post a little about myself soon. Need to get some sleep in a few minutes.

Let me suffice it to say that I've been "all over the place" with digital cams - Canon EOS, Nikon D200, and lately the Pentax K110D.

But I'm seeing a true and palpable difference in a lot of the Sigma images. They seem "cleaner" and "brighter" in color renditions. It's actually hard to put my mind to the exact specificity of what seems to make the images pop....so I just admire.

I was told by two friends "not to bother" with the Sigma as there is no real support for the cameras, and the mounts are finicky for adaptations to my manual focus lenses (mainly M42 screw mount). But now I've heard that the M42 lenses WILL mount, via an appropriate adapter, to the Sigma SA mounting bracket.

So, of course, NOW I'm thinking....and I'm not going to be surprised if I don't see an SD-9, SD-10, or SD-14 in my hands one of these days...especially if I keep looking at the wondrous image output I see here in this forum.

Laurence

jesito

Larry, very warm welcome here!.
I fell into the temptation and got a second hand SD9... And I'm furiously in love with it!.

Kind regards,
Jes.

foveonfan

Jim, I had to pause and look when your panoramic image came up full-screen. Simply a gorgeous rendition of a superlative landscape. The sky shows such a "true" shade of blue to me, and the whole image seems to have the SNAP of highly controlled contrast.

By the way, I am new here (registered a few minutes ago), and I'll post a little about myself soon. Need to get some sleep in a few minutes.

Let me suffice it to say that I've been "all over the place" with digital cams - Canon EOS, Nikon D200, and lately the Pentax K110D.

But I'm seeing a true and palpable difference in a lot of the Sigma images. They seem "cleaner" and "brighter" in color renditions. It's actually hard to put my mind to the exact specificity of what seems to make the images pop....so I just admire.

I was told by two friends "not to bother" with the Sigma as there is no real support for the cameras, and the mounts are finicky for adaptations to my manual focus lenses (mainly M42 screw mount). But now I've heard that the M42 lenses WILL mount, via an appropriate adapter, to the Sigma SA mounting bracket.

So, of course, NOW I'm thinking....and I'm not going to be surprised if I don't see an SD-9, SD-10, or SD-14 in my hands one of these days...especially if I keep looking at the wondrous image output I see here in this forum.

Laurence

I too take this opportunity to welcome you, Laurence. Glad you appreciate the results of my endeavours.

As for support for the SD cameras, I think it depends on where on this planet you reside. Here in Australia it's not out of place to say that the representation and support are rather dismal.

But I agree, there is substantially more to these cameras than a lot of people would have you believe and most of the naysayers have never even handled the cameras or have an opinion derived from a few minutes of use. Or worse, have read a magazine test undertaken by a clueless tester. Sad really.

There was even a test of the SD14 in a British magazine that flatly stated that the SD14 files were impossible to print beyond A4! Now I and others have printed beyond AO with wonderful results that have to be seen to be fully appreciated.

Anyway, you are most welcome to continue to whet your appetite here and maybe soon, we, the lucky ones, will read with pleasure that you have made a personal commitment to "Foveon film".

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Guest .

Banned
Hi Laurence,

welcome to our nice photo community. ;)

SIGMA-image material can be successfully printed extremely large ... I have such prints. Those who watch it are very impressed.

It is a very sad story, that SIGMA SD is disputed that heavily.

Though our image results do not depend on ignorant assessment, it might endanger our cameras' future.

But ... I do not like all these camera-fights in mixed forums ... this is the peaceful place where the pictures talk. ;)

-Maus-.jpg

My latest shot ... pure luck ... I wanted to shoot my birds in the garden ... this little mate liked the birds' food as well and just turned up in front of my SIGMA.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

laurence2

Thank you all very much for the friendly, open minds.

Jesito, I am glad to see you here, and I had only recently realized that you purchased an SD-9! I met Jesito on the Manual Lenses forum (MFLenses.com), and he is an honorable man with fantastic image skills.

Klaus and Jim: I can only say "wow" about your images that I've seen.

I do want to warn you, that I may sometimes get quite "wordy" with my comments and critiques, but I like to give full impressions to obviate a good exchange of information. Besides....I'm a Tech Writer for Information Systems, so that's where all the "gab" comes from when I'm at the keyboard!

I'll further introduce myself in the appropriate place in the Forum, in just a few minutes.

Thanks again.