DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Phoenix 500mm mirror lenses

jesito

Hi colleagues,

I've been looking at the Phoenix mirror lenses (500mm) and I'd like to know your opinion.
I've been told that they are not very good in quality terms, but maybe with the Foveon quality can compensate somewhat the limitations of those lenses.
Anyone has some experience with them?

Thanks in advance.
Jes.

Hi, Jesito!

I have no experience with those lenses, but my logic tells me that if their quality is only so - so, then Foveon will certainly amplify those imperfections.

Sincere regards, JR

Hi colleagues,

I've been looking at the Phoenix mirror lenses (500mm) and I'd like to know your opinion.
I've been told that they are not very good in quality terms, but maybe with the Foveon quality can compensate somewhat the limitations of those lenses.
Anyone has some experience with them?

It doesn't matter what camera it is, no camera can fix a lousy lens. And don't forget the donut shaped rings from out of focus highlights. But it is a cheap way to get 500mm, just don't expect a whole lot.

Thanks a lot to both of you!
So, discarded. Better to invest in a decent lens.
Maybe my Tamron 70-250 with the Tamron 2X doubler would give more performance. To mount it I can use the M42-Sigma adapter and the M42-Tamron on top.

I'll try it, let's see what I can get from that puzzle...

Kind regards,

Jes.

Hi All,

I have a SOLIGOR 500mm/8.0 and a Hanimex 300mm /6.3 Mirror-lens.

Well,

both of them draw comparatively contrastless pictures. Sharpness really is not more than so-so, their bokeh is ugly.

Better forget about it!

If you want a cheap and very good 500mm solution, just go for a second hand Beroflex 500mm / 8.0

They have benn made since the 70s (up to now!) and used to be a an insider's tip since then.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• -Leo-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Leo-.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 18
Thanks Klaus for the advice and the pointer.
That Beroflex seems to be not bad!!. That picture is really nice.
I assume it's a T2 mount (the seller tells about "telescope").

I plan to test the Tamron 70-250 with a Tamron 2x doubler and if it doesn't give an acceptable result, I'll go for the Beroflex. The only caution is the profile of the seller (95,2%) and some comments...

Kind regards,
Jes.

Hi Jes,

The Beroflex/Danubia-range is all T2-mount and can easily be fitted to all possible camera systems.

Three lenses are available .... 300mm/5.6 ... 400mm/6.3 .... 500mm/8.0

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Back