DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T2 lens

I have T T2 T3 and even TVS. When compare the wide angle lenses between rangefinder or SLR, the lens on rangefinder is mostly better than SLR's. (inherent characteristic since the wide angle lens on SLR need more lenses construction). Please also note that the resolution chart is for B/W only. And it is the index showing one of characteristic of the lens. In my opinion, lens on T/T2 is the best in the sense of color and mood. The lens of T3 is too sharp and too strong in color. The performance of G35 is in-between these two lens.

Leo,

I find your post interesting. My daughter hates the photos I take of her with my T3 (color film). She says the camera is too sharp and too unforgiving, catching every little nuance. How would you rate your TVS when compared to the other T's.

Thanks

Joel Stern

Hi Joel
Yes, you are right. It is not good if the lens is toooooo sharp.. sometime. So why most people love to put a softer on the lens.
The lens of TVS is reasonable sharp but not like T3. And be honest, this lens can't be compared with the prime lens. The color saturation is high and rich. If you are reading the MTF of the lens, the lens of TVS is less sharp than the new TVSIII lens and T3's lens (the lenses of TVS and TVSII are the same.) Although I have T3, I use Contax T and TVS the most. The reasons to use TVS and T the most are not only the quality of lens but the method of control and the short time lap. The zoom action is by manual in TVS and you can quickly switch on (the zoom lever is also the main power switch) and zoom and take the photo. TIME Lap is short when compare to Modern PS. I highly recommend you to get a user condition TVS (not Mint because you will not use it if it is in mint condition
happy.gif
) and enjoy the snapshooting....
Leo

Leo,

I have a TVS ll that I bought about a month ago and have just not put through it's paces yet..but I am trying to. It is heavier than my T3, larger, these are the major drawbacks, but still small enough to carry around easily, and I do like the manual zoom. You mention softening up..can I soften up the lens on the T3 for portrait shots (for landscapes and buildings it is just superb, I love the clarity). I am not well versed in how to manipulate this camera for desired effects.

Thanks

Joel

Hi Joel,
Using filter in soften the image for wide angle is not a good idea. Try some low contrast film such as Kodak Portra or Proimage. They have lower in contrast. By the way, the meaning of Sharp of T3 is the contrast.
leo

"The lens of T3 is too sharp and too strong in color."

I would hardly characterize extreme sharpness and strong color rendition as lens flaws, as these qualities indicate that the lens is transmitting light with minimal alteration. This, after all, is what we generally want a lens to do. If alteration of light (e.g. softening or color alteration) is desired, then one should use a filter.

In their marketing of the T3, Contax state clearly that the T3's lens is superior to the T2's. Perhaps this is so, but the difference can only be small, as the T2's lens is truly outstanding. I believe that it is stiff competition for the 35G.

The T2 is ergonomically superior to the T3. Its only deficiencies, IMO, are shutter lag and light fall-off, both of which have been largely eliminated in the T3. I have gotten some fabulous photos with the T2, and I doubt that I could have done better with any other P&S. And let us not forget that we are discussing P&Ss here, and some limitations are to be expected.

Hi there!

My actual problem with the T2 is that I could see in my last films some lost of sharpness on the right side of a picture (please excuse my bad english ;). Even at full aperture sometimes the picture is totally sharp up to the egdes, sometimes there is aheavy lost of sharpness and contrast on the right half. Could it be that the film is not totally flat in the T2. I must admit that I realized it due to a new enlarging lens, that is supposed to be very good.

Please if anyone knows please help me. Thank You very much in advance.

regards
Wolfgang

Back