DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New to Forum - Anticipating Purchase of Sigma SD-xx

laurence2

I would like to introduce myself to the forum. I go by Laurence or Larry, makes no difference as long as I know that it really is me you are addressing!

I posted in the General area yesterday, so I am very new here with just 2 full days of membership.

I do not have a Sigma SLR...yet. As I indicated in the other thread, I am anticipating trying out either one of the SD-9, SD-10, or SD-14 cameras soon. What makes me do this: simply the BEAUTY and CLEAN imagery I am seeing from the Foveon sensor, coupled with the fine lenses from Sigma as well as the older manual lenses.

I have a collection (not large) of M42 lenses, and when I heard that M42 lenses can be adapted to the Sigma proprietary SA Mount, that provided the "final impetus" to start to seriously think about gaining a Sigma camera body.

I am currently using the Pentax K110, and like just about all the mainstream cameras, it is very useful. However, I really DO see a difference between the output from the "mainstream" and the output from Sigmas. Probably the most significant element to me, is the rather dimensional "look" to the Sigma/Foveon output. And secondary element is the wonderful COLORS that seem to me to be closer to film than any other output I've seen.

So that is my fairly short term goal, to obtain a Sigma SLR body. I always enjoy trying new tools. After all, that's part of what photography is about. While I realize that a new tool won't necessarily make me a better photographer, it will certainly enable me to have the OPPORTUNITY to shoot better images. It seems that the Sigma line has its own little "quirks" and its own proprietary elements, and that's okay by me. I can't IMAGINE that its quirks are far-and-above any other brand's various anomalies and quirks. It's all a matter of getting used to a tool, and then attempting to give it "all you have" to see if good images can be produced.

Of course, all of the above represents the FUN of photography. I never get into "battles" about one brand over another. We are SO lucky to even have all these wonderful digital tools at our disposal. I do shoot film, both 35mm and medium format as well; and I probably always will. So, I am very lucky to be able to meld the digital world with the analog world and see what comes out on the other side!

Best to all, and I think I will enjoy this forum.

Laurence

Hi Larry!

Welcome again, :)

I'm wondering what you will be able to do with a SIGMA in your hands... specially when I know you squeeze the most of your cameras. For sure the wonderful landscapes you use to shot will benefit of the superb color quality of the Foveon sensor, (even if you don't need it to obtain extraordinary results :) )

I'm quite new in this forum as well, but I've felt very comfortable since the beginning, thanks to the kind and collaborative colleagues that are around here. I've also seen hi-tech projects, very far from what we use to find on normal photography forums, and also one step ahead on quality on all the pictures shown.

I know the world of Sigma is small, but it seems all the good things are here :)

kind regards,
Jes.

I would like to introduce myself to the forum. I go by Laurence or Larry, makes no difference as long as I know that it really is me you are addressing!

I posted in the General area yesterday, so I am very new here with just 2 full days of membership.

I do not have a Sigma SLR...yet. As I indicated in the other thread, I am anticipating trying out either one of the SD-9, SD-10, or SD-14 cameras soon. What makes me do this: simply the BEAUTY and CLEAN imagery I am seeing from the Foveon sensor, coupled with the fine lenses from Sigma as well as the older manual lenses.

I have a collection (not large) of M42 lenses, and when I heard that M42 lenses can be adapted to the Sigma proprietary SA Mount, that provided the "final impetus" to start to seriously think about gaining a Sigma camera body.

I am currently using the Pentax K110, and like just about all the mainstream cameras, it is very useful. However, I really DO see a difference between the output from the "mainstream" and the output from Sigmas. Probably the most significant element to me, is the rather dimensional "look" to the Sigma/Foveon output. And secondary element is the wonderful COLORS that seem to me to be closer to film than any other output I've seen.

So that is my fairly short term goal, to obtain a Sigma SLR body. I always enjoy trying new tools. After all, that's part of what photography is about. While I realize that a new tool won't necessarily make me a better photographer, it will certainly enable me to have the OPPORTUNITY to shoot better images. It seems that the Sigma line has its own little "quirks" and its own proprietary elements, and that's okay by me. I can't IMAGINE that its quirks are far-and-above any other brand's various anomalies and quirks. It's all a matter of getting used to a tool, and then attempting to give it "all you have" to see if good images can be produced.

Of course, all of the above represents the FUN of photography. I never get into "battles" about one brand over another. We are SO lucky to even have all these wonderful digital tools at our disposal. I do shoot film, both 35mm and medium format as well; and I probably always will. So, I am very lucky to be able to meld the digital world with the analog world and see what comes out on the other side!

Best to all, and I think I will enjoy this forum.

Laurence

Hi, Laurence!

I can only wish for you that my Sigma/Foveon induced enthusiasm for digital photography will encourage to take the plunge sooner than later! :)

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Experiences by Guus

Hi Larry,

I am a relatively new user of a SD14 combined with Olympus lenses; the mount was constructed by Luis A Guevara owner of:
http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/

Luis helped me a lot to sort out several issues and I am sure that you love to
use those old beautiful lenses on a SD14!!

Recently I bought a 24mm F2.8 H Zuiko and it is astonishing how well the quality of those vintage prime focus lenses reflect in the pictures shot with the SD14. For more information I suggest you to take a look on the above mentioned site and don't forget to dig into the subjects on the forum!
The tutorials of Luis are very informative so check those items out as well!

I love to hear your opinion.

Best regards, Guus.

Back