DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G2 Tripod legs and head

Revised & completed: IMHO after 40 years in photography, there is nothing better than Tiltall.

Mike Gregory

A personal favorite of mine is the Kirk Photo Ball Head and Arca-style quick release brackets.

They do not list a bracket for the G2. I called them today, and they are willing to add one to their list, if I lend them my body. I will do so in a few weeks.

So, for anybody interested, check their website in a month or so. It should be available then.

I certainly have to agree with Michael Gregory. I have owned and used the Leitz Tiltall tripod since 1977. It is a fine piece of equipment. It has held very proudly my Contax 1, various Leica
reflexes, M4/M6; Contax RTS111 & RX, and now does service for my Contax 645
I have tried Gitzos, Manfrottos, Paillard Bolex and Linhofs. There is nothing as sturdy or reliable..it's like a tank!
Colin

Steve,

In my search for the right tripod and head, I came across the following site -- Really Right Stuff : http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/index.html

If you go to plates for camera bodies, they have a plate that they indicate is designed to fit Acra-style quick release brackets for the Contax G2 - the "B9". You may want to check the site out before you send your G2 camera body to Kirk.

Howard

Michael and Colin,

I did quick research on the Leitz Tiltall tripod. Apparently the Tiltall tripods have not been associated with Leitz for many years. A new company bought the Tiltall name and according to web sources, they are not manufactured to the same quality standards as when Leitz was associated with Tiltall.

Howard

Howard,

First check the RRS web site for great tips on choosing the tripod setup for your needs. I currently use the RRS cl& and plates along with a panning ball head for all my cameras.

Second decide what are your needs and how much are you willing to carry on any given photo trip. If it's only occasional landscaping and mainly studio/indoor photography, the 6 plus pounds of the tiltall can't be beat. It's tough like a tank because it's built like one. But if you frequent the outdoors and carry 2 systems, SLR and G2, then weight is going to be a concern. If you can put up with the cost, a carbon fiber tripod is super (rigid and light). If you carry only the G2, then any tripod and head combo with a capacity to hold up to 6-9lbs should be sufficient. The ball head style is also easier to make changes than a pan bead/video style one. Just a matter of preference.

I second the recommendation of the Velbon Maxi 343. It is small and light, very cheap, and beautifully designed. It won't be satisfactory in a hurricane (too light), but I got it because I just never am inclined to lug a heavy duty tripod.

After much research I did what some (but) not all recommended. On ebay, someone was selling a Bogen 3001 Tripod and Manfrotto 3275 geared head and I got it for a great price. The geared head is heavy, slow, but precise. It has a level which I think will be useful for the G2 21mm. For travel, again on eBay, I bought a Velbon Maxi 343 - again for a great price. I have not received it and hope to have it soon.

I will report back how well both of the tripods and the head work.

Thanks for the help and input.

Howard

I have a G2 and would like to know when using a tripod, could you use the timer feature in lieu of a cable release.
Thank you,
Geo

George,

Answer to your questions is Yes, BUT. It all depends what you shoot. If you are photographing stationary subjects, i.e. landscaping a 5 to 10 second delay will generally make no difference. If you are shooting anything that moves - like people, you may miss the magic of the instance of a blooming smile, or a surprised expression, etc.

I suggest that a cable release is a wise investment.

Howard

Back