DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which SuperWide to buy

fergisan

In another thread I asked for advice regarding the Sigma 15-35mm f/3.5-4.5 vs. the Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8. Now I find great reviews on the Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8.

HELP!!!!

I want a good super-wide for my Maxxum 9 and I just can't afford the $1000+ price tag for the Minolta 17-35mm f/3.5 G. I don't care how good it is, I can't afford it.

Do any of you have ANY opinion as to my other choices, even those I haven't listed. Is wider better? Is faster better?

Help me please!!

Brett Ferguson

>

Hi Brett,

Personally, I'm scared of Sigma's AF lenses incompatibility with Minolta AF cameras across the board, and any moneys would be an "expense" and not an "investment". However, I know Sigma makes some unique lenses. What to do, what to do ... ?

The two lenses you mention are different enough to stymie me, too - either a wide focal length range including 15mm and 0.643856 stop slower or a 0.643856 stop faster 20mm only.

I think speed is not an issue for hand held, but the ability to frame a composition by zooming and the incredible 15mm vista would clinch it for me.

Tamron makes a Minolta AF compatible 14mm ya know - .

Tamron also has a SP AF20-40mm F/2.7-3.5 Aspherical (IF) and an AF19-35mm F/3.5-4.5

Peter Blaise

>

Peter,

Thanks for the response. A few follow-ups if I may ask.

I'm not familiar with the Sigma/Minolta compatability issue, perhaps you could enlighten me.

Also, I'd heard from a couple of sources that Tamron's optics weren't nearly as good as Sigma or Tokina, with Tokina being the best of the three. Am I to understand that you are of a different opinion?

What about Minolta's option? Should I just wait and save for a year? Is it really that much better?

Thanks, as always,

Brett Ferguson

>

My links were cut out - what's WRONG WITH THIS BOARD?!?!?!?!? In order to keep long links from splittin gacross lins, use the "less-than/greater-than" symbols as in "" ... UNLESS EVEN THIS HINT GOT EDITED OUT!!!

I'll try again:

Hi Brett,

Personally, I'm scared of Sigma's AF lenses incompatibility with Minolta AF cameras across the board, and any moneys would be an "expense" and not an "investment". However, I know Sigma makes some unique lenses. What to do, what to do ... ?

The two lenses you mention are different enough to stymie me, too - either a wide focal length range including 15mm and 0.643856 stop slower or a 0.643856 stop faster 20mm only.

I think speed is not an issue for hand held, but the ability to frame a composition by zooming and the incredible 15mm vista would clinch it for me.

Tamron makes a Minolta AF compatible 14mm f/2.8 ya know - http://www.tamron.com/35mm/35mm_af/a14.htm

Tamron also has a SP AF20-40mm F/2.7-3.5 Aspherical (IF) http://www.tamron.com/35mm/35mm_af/a2040.htm and an AF19-35mm F/3.5-4.5 http://www.tamron.com/35mm/35mm_af/a1935.htm

Peter Blaise

>

I have Tamron's AF19-35 f/3.5-4.5; it's a handy little lens, very lightweight, and cheap. I can't complain about the image quality. For traveling, I can take that lens (19-35), the Tamron 28-300, and my Minolta 50mm prime (for extra-good quality and low-light shots). The whole system is incredibly lightweight, and my Maxxum 7 allows me to change film mid-roll so I don't even need a separate body for different film types.

The Minolta 17-35 is most likely an incredible lens, but it certainly does seem way overpriced for an f/3.5.

The Tamron 19-35 is great, but if it's superwide you're looking for, the 15-30 is probably fantastic. However, I don't think you can use filters with it. That would be a major drawback for me.

I got A 2,8 20mm from Minolta. Also because the 17-35mm Zomm was too expensive. And the wide angle zoom lens wont ever bee as good as the 2,8 20mm.
I also would think about to get a Contax G21mm Biogon lens wich cant be beaten with a G1 or G2 Camera.
For that monney you save buying a zoom you can invest in a nice Holyday or a Digital Camera.

There is no reason why would anyone be scared of Sigma lens. I have couple of them and all I can advise to you is try them an love them.
No compatibility problems, superb finish (EX series), excellent price/value ratio.
Recomended - 10-20mm and 12-24mm. Both are just great lenses.

Back