DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

General Flash Questions for Contax G1/G2

The TLA will give you tons of red eye when mounted directly to the G2. I use a Nikon SC-17 to connect mine to the camera. Then I hold the flash off axis to solce this problem.

I will be using a Contax G2 w/ Vario Sonnar 35-70mm zoom lens and TLA-200 flashgun for a wedding on Tuesday. Can anyone give me advice with regards to the exposure/aperture/flash settings when using the camera outside for fill in as previous shots have bleached the subject. Thank you.

I am going to be dead honest on this one. When I know a situation needs fill flash, I go for my F100 and my SB28. The G2 is not the beat cmaera for fill situations...........at least this is my opinion and that pertains to my level of expertise. Now I know my answer is probably making you uneasy. So now I will tell you what I would do if the G2 were my on available "weapon".
Bracket! Yes bracket your flash with the exp/comp dial. The G2's center weighted TTL system seems to give the best results that way. Plus, bring a few extra sets of batteries along in orderto keep the charging rate fast. That way you will be able to bracket the same composition withthe maxiumum amount of speed possible. Again, as I said before. The G2 in my opinion is just not designed for fill flash use. But then again, who am I? I bet someone else out there will say I am totally wrong or just undertrained with this marvelous camera. I rely on the G2 more for natural light photograohy.

> As I understand it, the best solution for fill flash on the G2 is to use one of the older Vivitar flashes that monitors the light itself. The flash system on the G2 just does not seem to be very well though out.] >

Hi all

I like the TLA 200 very much. I use it for indoor and outdoor for fill flash. To get good results, you have to read the G2 and the TLA200 manuals carefuly. The system will thanks it with good pictures.

Hans Villars, Switzerland

I am a user of the sunpak 444d auto with the contax module and a contax g2. If anyone has any suggestions on how to use this combo for fill flash, your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
shawn

Hi James,

Everyone seems to find the same problem with the Contax flash. I don't know how this will work for fill-flash, but I've done this with 'normal' flash situations and it seems to cure the problem of too much flash strength. I went to a local hardware store and got a small sheet of white plastic - not clear, but not opaque either. It allows some light through, and I chose the sheet I wanted by holding it above my head near the light in the shop to make sure light was visible. I bought a package of velcro, cut the plastic sheet to the same size as the front of the flash body, then attached a couple of tiny strips of velcro to flash and plastic. Voila, a diffuser. And it doesn't look too unsightly, it's just a white square on the front of the flash.

Hope this works for you!

Mark Edwards

> Not to be a kill-joy but while that would soften the light, depending on the flash it might not decrease the amount of light reaching your subject. I'm not an expert on this side of things, but in some cases a camera system will simply compensate by throwing a stronger burst, or a longer duration, to compensate for the home-made diffusers. That's why it's always best if you can dial down on the flash, or on the body. I know that's not always possible. You might want to run a test roll through your camera before the big wedding event to make sure it behaves as you want. -Lynn

I just purchased a new black g2 kit with the TLA200 flash. I bought this camera to photograph my children, which means 50% will be inside using the flash. What do you recomend? A different Contax flash or other make? Is there a special technique to use? Cheap point and shoots have built in flash that works. Please HELP I feel like a made a terrible mistake buying the g2 after reading all your flash complaints.

Back