DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Black and White in camera or photoshop?

hangbelly

A question for the masses. When you shoot black and white, do you shoot color and convert in photoshop,or do you use the black and white filter in camera? I personally shoot black and white in my dslr as I shoot both jpeg and raw at the same time so still have a lot of info to work with. But with my point and shoots I convert in photoshop (Gimp). I just wonder how others handle it.

Always shoot RAW only and convert. In the past when I was using Fuji X cameras I would do RAW and B&W JPEG. Occasionally the B&W would work out but I like to convert based upon what the image tells me so RAW works best.

In my case I do both. I shoot JPEG BWs in camera, as well as convert to BW using the software of my 10+ yr old MacBook. I have never converted a RAW image nor bought any real software. (I’m sure I should though.)

How I go about deciding which method I should shoot in is just by feeling. Nothing scientific or systematic. Not even rational, either. Perhaps, it’s all whim with me. Don’t really know.

I try to experiment with B&W more in the future. I just bought a second hand Fuji X-Pro2 and I like the B&W outcome of it ooc.

What I like is that I have a B&W viewfinder (if I use the ELV of the XPro2). It makes you really thinking differently.

I am not a pixel peeper, so I do not know whether I would see a difference in shooting directly B&W and doing it afterwards in photo editing.

But there is an interesting video from Petapixel with Chris & Jordan (their first video there) about the Leica M11 monochrome. They talk there also about the downsides you will have, if you have a monochrome camera. Maybe also interesting for you.

Back