DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Whatbs your opinion G Lenses Sharper Than Medium Format

Hi Jeffery,

"The Contax G 45mm Planar is rated higher than any other lens they have tested."

It is second from the top of the pack for their rating of lensese they've tested...the Canon 200/1.8 is higher, rated a 4.8.

I'm not saying I agree with their ratings, BTW...

Regards,

Austin

Whow, Austin you're right! I'll bet that I missed that because I don't have any Canon equipment (though it is great stuff). The face-off is always between Zeiss and Leica, so I tend to look at those two and my other two favorites, Pentax and Nikon.

The ratings are, of course, very limited in usefulness as they don't cover a large s&le size of lenses. What they are good for is telling people not to buy Centon.
blush.gif

I think this issue has been discussed before. For making prints, of course the printing stage strongly affects the results. I kind of had a similar experience with my Fuji 645s not significantly blowing my G off to be worth maintaining another format and I considered moving up to 6x7 (such as Mamiya 7). However, it could simply be poor digital scanning, something that a larger negative may or may not be able to solve. I could always pay more for a professional scan but if I keep on doing it the costs would be prohibitive.

Be it 135 or medium format, within a format you want to squeeze the last bit out of it, and the Contax G certainly is capable of doing that within its format limitations as all the other respondents have agreed. A 645 negative is only 1.6x larger (linear) and all it takes is for the Contax G to out-resolve it by 1.6 times. I do not believe this is a total impossibility in all situations. If there is some discontinued frozen Ektar 25 around I think it can be done against some ISO 400 or 800 medium format film.

You're looking at the wrong math. I'm not sure where 1.6 times came from but it's not the "linear" measure that matters. It is the area of film being used. A 645 negative (about 60mm x 45mm) has around 3 times the area of a 35mm negative (about 35mm x 24mm) -- and can therfore hold 3 times the information. There is no way a 35mm lens -- even a G lens -- can be so sharp as to overcome that disadvantage (grain could also get in the way). A G lens might be a little sharper for a given square millimeter than a MF lens, the fact that you have 3 times the number of square millimeters makes a huge difference. I can't explain your experience with the Fuji 645, but my Contax 645 produces noticable better images than my Contax G, and my Mamiya 7II produces phenomenal images. No contest. Carry the extra weight and put up with the added inconvenience of MF and you WILL get better images than your G (provided of course that you use the stuff properly).

Yes I have to agree with Lotus. I have two Mamiya 6MF bodies and the three system lenses which go with the 6. Before that I had a Yashicamat 124G and before that, would you believe, a Lubitel.
Medium format knocks spots of 35mm but is not as convenient.
Regards,
John

It is not difficult to believe that the engineering and manufacture of the G2 lenses is much easier due to the two facts that 1) as a 35mm system a smaller piece of glass is required and 2) as a rangefinder the lens is brought closer to the film plane.

Simply put, it is far easier to maintain extremely tight tolerances and uniform coatings since there is less glass and less complexity in the lens to compensate for optical aberrations. So is a G2 45mm f2 sharper than a 645 80mm f2? Probably.

That being said about lenses, the differences in the amount of enlargement of the image on film necessary to obtain the same size print gives a clear advantage in image quality to medium format.

af

Obviously, there is some gap between medium format and 135. Whether that gap is big enough to justify the extra costs of medium format is a very subjective question. To me, the middle of the road 645 did not give me a big enough gap to justify. In my humble opinion I would have to go all the way to 6x7 or a really good 645 (such as Lotus' Contax) to be "happy" with medium format.

As for linear vs. area, the point is well taken, but is it really that hard for one lens/film system to be sharper than another by so much that the former can store 3 times as much information ? Not either. A 80 lp/mm system vs. a 50 lp/mm system can both be squared to yield a 3 times difference in information stored.

Hi Bobby,

"As for linear vs. area, the point is well taken, but is it really that hard for one lens/film system to be sharper than another by so much that the former can store 3 times as much information ? Not either. A 80 lp/mm system vs. a 50 lp/mm system can both be squared to yield a 3 times difference in information stored."

I'm not sure about your arithmatic here...but it's not that easy, optically, to cover a larger film area...which is why larger format lenses aren't as sharp (in most cases) as smaller format lenses in terms of raw resolution per same unit of coverage...but when the increase in coverage area is taken into consideration, the larger lenses are effectively sharper given the same size print (not the same magnification).

35m suffers from the resolution of film, where MF does not as much. This, of course, depends on how large an image you want. For 8x10 and below, no doubt, 35mm does just fine in most cases. Above that, MF can certainly show higher image quality. Some people can shoot 35mm up to 13 x 19 with little distinction between it and MF, but that takes careful focus/controlling camera shake, proper exposure and very good development.

Regards,

Austin

Austin,

Test results aside, I have some 24"x36" and 30" x 40" prints hanging on my wall. Some were with my Canon IS glass and others were with my Contax 645. The Canon images are great but the 645 ones blow them away in sharpness and detail. You may argue Canon vs. Contax 35mm glass but that can only account for so much. Simple physics will declare a substantially enlarged MF image sharper than a likewise 35mm image, assuming both are shot with high quality glass. The same goes for my prints from my 4x5. Hands down the winner. And on a light table the detail in the 4x5 is stunningly superior to my 645 and 35mm trannies. And no one argues that 4x5 lenses are as sharp as 35mm!

Guy

I started wondering why I drifted off myself. The question was whether it was possible for the Planar G 45 to defeat the Mamiya 80/2.8 in a 20" x 24". I said, yeah, with the best optics (G45), best film (Ektar 25), best printing and best technique, why not ? Over less good optics, less good film (e.g. ISO 400), less good printing (Frontier scanning, for ex&le, set to usual speed) and less good technique on the medium format side. I would not deny this (135 winning over MF) as a total impossibility. Of course, everything else equal, there is a gap between 645 and 135, a sizable one indeed. In my opinion, a bigger film area is only as good as how you use it properly. The bottom line: 645 has 3 times the area over 135 and everything else equal should be capable of a 3-times-area enlargement, but 135 should be adequate for everything 12 x 18 or below.

Back