DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A rumour but then I have been right twice before

Albert, We are indeed in the same boat. So much Contax glass - so little digital bodies! I have tested the canon 10d and it is a step back as far as lens quality goes, although the L lenses are very nice - also expensive. If the rumor of the new Contax Digital does pan out it would be my guess that we would see it no sooner than six months from now. That is a long time to wait. I may just get the 10d and a few L lenses to hold me over and then if the new Contax is worth buying - sell the canon gear. With the current selection of digital cameras Contax has left us hanging by not introducing a new dslr by now.

Marc,
I just looked at the price of those L prime lenses. Wow, each of them cost almost as much as or more than the 10D body, except for the long ones and they cost almost as much new small low priced car -- Choice new car or 400 mm L lens - let me discuss that one with the wife.

Since the 10D does not have a full frame sensor, all those L lenses will have to be multipied by some factor of 1.5, 1.7?? This means that the 14mm 2.0L will be 21mm in 35mm equivalency. Although those who use long, this is an advantage since their telephoto's 35mm equivalency is even longer.

My comments do not mitigate in any way that nearly all reviews and posts support that your contention that the 10D is a "nice digital for the money".

Notwithstanding, I understand the frustration of those with sizable investments in Contax Zeiss lenses. At this time,they have no digitial
Contax DSLR alternatives. And from reading what Dirk has indicated, he is not too optimistic about a quick or any Contax release of an affordable, high quality Contax DSLR in the near or any future. While I hope that Dirk is wrong in his assessment, the Contax DSLR market will shrink over time as Contax users who do not wait, switch to another manufacturer DSLR and invest in a new lens system. There is a growing list of good offerings by Canon, Nikon, and soon Olympus and Pentax (provided the later two will price their DSLR's competitively) and others. These manufacturers are also now introducing new lenses designed specifically for digital.

Howard

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but why not a high quality digital "rangefinder"? It is a niche that has not been truly tapped. All the little digicams are essentially rangefinder type cameras, but not of the caliber of a Leica or Contax. I passed on a Canon G3 because the viewfinder was so incredibly crappy. It seems to me the Contax G body is the perfect choice. It also seems that yet another DSLR, even a Contax, just won't be a great money maker.

Vic

> I'm sure this has been discussed before, but why not a high quality > digital "rangefinder"?

Providing I understand what you mean by "digital rangefinder", you mean the viewing of the image via an LCD display. The technical reason this won't work that well is because using an LCD for a viewfinder does not provide the same quality of image as using an optical image.

Austin

"My source says it will be announced at Photokina 2003 and in the shops by year-end."

Isnt photokina a biennial event?
I thought the next one was in 2004

Today I've heard from a Japanese source that Contax has scrapped its new DSLR offering, as they couldn't come up with a right price-point to make money. Canon 300D must have played a role in that decision, or so says the source.

Of course it's just another bit of wild rumors surrounding the upcoming Contax DSLR, but I wonder what's the latest on this front. Does your source have any new bits of juicy rumor, Simon?

With regard to Canon lenses, it must be said that it's not necessary at all to limit oneself to L glass. There are several, less expensive lenses that are quite wonderful. I'm speaking primarily of the primes - 50mm 1.4, 35mm 2, 100mm 2, 100 macro, 85mm 1.8. None of them will break a bank, and they're all ridiculously sharp, with excellent bokeh. If you require a zoom, you might find an L 28-70 2.8 on the used market as i did. And, Sigma makes a really nice 70-200 2.8.

'Contax has scrapped its new DSLR offering..'

1) and keep it until its well brewed... with the oldest technology?

2) Contax should be worried about Sony (unless they are working with them). Not Canon's aperture ringless plastics or Nikon's colours.

3) Prices of Contax will always be higher - Supply & Demand rules.

4) A different 'report'...
http://photo.cis.to/pipermail/contax/2003-September/019129.html

Have some hope... and a dash of patience...
I know its tough.
happy.gif

SL

"Have a dash of patience"? Some of us are fast losing patience as we are trapped in an uncertain future by Kyocera's tight lipped marketing strategy.

If indeed there is a new N-Digital on its way then Hurrah! As all those who have invested in expensive N mount lenses and are wanting to convert to digital in the future will at least get the oppertunity to use them for some years to come.

Those of us who still have the older C/Y mount optics and are intending to convert to digital in the future are stuck with the option of staying with this system and hoping for a digital film back as Leica have introduced (on that note Simonli's link is encouraging), swapping to the greater expense and uncertainty of an N mount film camera or changing systems totally to a proven manufacturer with an obvious continuing committment to its customers.

The digital market seems to be splitting into amateur outfits based on the 4/3 system (or 2/3 system to be more accurate based on the sensor size) and the full sized CCD aimed at pro's. On that basis I can't see how Canon's 300D will affect a new Contax digital SLR.

One can see why there is a tight lipped approach by Kyocera's management. They handled the introduction and delays with the ND in an terrible manner. I'd bet that they want to be absolutely sure this time before opening their corporate mouths. Plus, retain the option of not doing anything at all if it becomes economically unfeasible to have a digital N solution in the foreseeable future. Silence may be better than raising hopes to be dashed on the rocks of disappointment later.

If Kyocera was looking into a digital N solution for under $2,000 then it most likely would be impacted by Canon's new $900., 6 meg entry.
I'm fairly certain that for $2,000. the N wasn't going to be a full frame sensor.

I'd hazard a quess that well see a 8 meg TVSD before a N digital. Hope I'm wrong on this.

BTW, anyone interested in accepting a Mint N1
with dateback + cash in trade for their mint ND
(I don't need the software) e-mail me at fotografz@comcast.net

Back