DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A rumour but then I have been right twice before

> There is another factor to be considered in purchasing a DSLR. That is the telephoto effect on your "normal" lenses. In order to shoot at an equivilent of 50mm or something close to that, one must invest in what is usually a very expensive wide angle lens. The other option is to tolerate a relatively slow aperture with a short zoom. If you want to shoot wide angle, you have no option but to purchase very expensive lenses and even then can not attain a real wide angle shot. Until a full 35mm frame size digital becomes common, not too many amateur photographers are going to hop on the DSLR bandwagon. For the average SLR snap shooter, I think that film is still the only way to go.

Lynn S.

Anyone have any insight on using Contax for astronomy photography? Which body would be best and easiest? I have an AX, a 645, a TVS digital, G1, and a T2. It sure would be great to get the G1 to work somehow. What I have as a telescope is a FC-60 Takahashi. This may end up being much more difficult than I expected. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

My pop will stay with his Yashica T3 (Zeiss-lens) all the time but : There are many that matter about the film prices and they go digital (cheap p&s of course). They don't want to care about film in holidays.

What will equal 35mm film ?

I don't know - I think nobody knows exactly !

There were some saying tzhat even 3 MP will be enough others saying that it will need more than 30 MP. Some saying 12 MP of EOS 1Ds even matches medium format - but then : Why do MF-camera makers produce digital backs with so much more MP ?

I'm using a 5MP Oly E20 beside my film gear and it will NEVER compete ! Film is so much better (if you don't use p&s but (Zeiss-)primes like I do (o.k. - I have some Tamron-zoom lenses too....) But even shots with a zoom-lens are better....

I'm hoping film prices will stay like they are for it's quality is so much better !

Maybe a 18 MP Contax645 digital back will compete....?!?

;-) Paul

When Hill and Adamson were taking calotypes in Edinburgh in the 1840's, I wonder if they ever realised they were only seeing a hint of what the medium was capable of. It took 50+ years for photography to develop and they were still using glass plates then. I'll bet there were many "is film better than a glass plate" discussions in the Eastman era.
Hang on to that ND, because in the longer term, film is dead, and you've got one of the first really capable digital cameras. Not many were made, and your grandchildren will have what collectors would consider to be a very valuable asset!

It is an interesting idea to hang onto a digital camera with the hope of of it becoming an antique.
When as the old wood and leather cameras went wrong you only had to shout down the street for someone to come and mend it. Nowdays when an electronic gadget goes wrong it is generally beyond economical repair even if you could find someone to be able to do it.
Somehow I don't imagine there being many ND's or other early generation digital cameras in working order by the end of this decade never mind this century.

BTW: I have an old Contax D with original receipt showing that in over fifty years it is still worth much the same as when it was new.

Hi Marc.

I see that you are looking to trade your N1 for an ND. I have both the N1 and ND, but dread using the ND because of it idiosyncracies. I am will to discuss a trade with you if your N1 condition is good and the set is complete. Do e-mail me to discuss further. I am based in Singapore and would like to sell my ND at US$3500, excluding S/H/I.

Thanks.

Its coming up to Christmas and I'm looking at getting my wife the next ND2? Has anyone heard any creditable rumors about a release of the ND2?

Please straighten me out here. It has been a while since I visited the Contax N Digital web site, but I just did, and it has been completely rev&ed, with much nicer coverage of the ND as well as all other Contax cameras and lenses - anybody know when this actually happened? This might be the best Contax site yet.

http://www.contaxndigital.com

DJ, puzzled

The URL www.contaxcameras.co.uk will take you to the same site.
You may also have noticed that Kyocera in the UK have moved address in Reading as well.
They are now at
Kyocera Yashica (UK) Ltd
Kyocera House
111 Loverock Road
READING
RG30 1DZ
UK
Is it all connected?

> DJ, I'm amazed and puzzled at the same time....there is even a link to this site!!!!! Everybody should check this out!!!! Why NOW????? Bert

Back