DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Speculations on the D70

old_admin_CI

Nikon announced a new digital SLR for next spring today. The model is called D70. Prices are not available yet, but rumours are talking about 1100 Euro. It is obvious that the price will depend on the competition, especially the Canon 300D.

What are your thoughts about it, what features shall the D70 have?

Does this forum have Nikons ear? I really hope there listening.

I would hope that feature wise, it would surpass the Canon 300D (Including a NON plastic body and spot metering and a mirror lockup) If it ended up NOT being a dumbed down D100 (like the 300D is a dumbed down 10D)...and the price was a little higher....I think it would stir up the market quite a bit.

Instead of paying $1000.00 for body and lens of something that just quite isn’t what I want (the D300)....I would have a camera I truly desire (the D70) for say $100.00-$150.00 more. A stretch I could easily justify if done correctly.

Not only would this be smart in the market place by drawing not only new people (like me) to the dedication of Nikon lenses...but it would give the film holdouts no more reason to shy away from exploring the world of digital.

And if the D70 actually was an evolution of the D100 I think you would not only hold your own in the market...but to put a REAL DSLR in the hands of enthusiasts...for the price they are expecting to have to make compromises at (like Canon expects) Nikon would OWN the market and trump Canons attempt to be first....with Nikon being the best.

This spring I will part with approximatly $1000.00 of my hard earned money for whatever entry level DSLR is the best....I hope (and want) it to be in the direction of Nikon.

That is my 100,000 cents worth (and wish list)

Roman Johnston

I'd like to see a camera with these features also but i'm afraid to compete with Canon, The D70 will have to match the Digital Rebel item for item including price. Otherwise new buyers will take the Canon over the Nikon to save $150. This camera will attract buyers that are new to thr SLR world & don't know what mirror lockup is or used for. Even the D100 has a plastic body so the D70 won't be any tougher. They will buy it with the attached lens then maybe buy accessories as the needs happen. Maybe a rumored D200 will have the features your looking for. My 2 cents worth.

Tom

The D100 has a plastic body, but it has a metal sub structure. (frame) The 300D is all plastic (and rather cheesy feeling in the end, it doesn’t inspire confidence at all).

I don’t think Nikon will sit on its laurels and only match the 300D.... not in this market place. They need to be the top dog that they are.

Canon makes innovative products.....Nikon makes photographic tools.

People have gotten very savvy and read the reviews. (like DPreview) and know a good bargain when they see one....(and its reported so by a impartial 3rd party like that)

Oh...Mirror Lock Up is a way to reduce vibration for like long exposure shots by lifting the mirror and locking it in place instead of the usual slap that occurs when it lifts up when you press the shutter button.

The mirror is what allows you to see through the viewfinder (real-time) what is viewed down the barrel of the lens and always lifts out of the way to expose the CCD (or film) behind it when an exposure is taken.

That’s why your viewfinder goes dark in a SLR (digital or film) when you snap the exposure.

Roman

Roman,

If you have a tight budget right now, I would really think hard whether you want to spend the money now. Looking at the past 3 years in digital photography, you can seriously expect a digital SLR with similar capabilities of the Canon 300D for 500-700 USD.

The price war will start in 2004. There are a couple of interesting fairs within the first 3 months next year and in Septmeber photokina is coming.

IMO it will be really a price war for gaining market share in 2004. None of the competitors of Canon will sit, wait and watch passively how Canon is passing the 50% market share for the digital SLR's.

The Nikon D70 will be surely interesting, but really interesting will be everything announced until/ at the photokina 2004. It is a question of surviving for certain brandnames. So expect a lot of price chnages, product announcements etc.

A Nikon D200 for 700-990 USD (internet price) or less is my bed for December 2004.

Do not laugh. When the Canon 10D was announced for 2000 USD, nobody would have believed that a few months later basically the same camera would be available for 900 USD (Canon 300D). And bear in mind: Also a Nikon D70 is not a better camera than a similar Nikon analog model for 500 USD. The D70 just needs more accessories and batteries
happy.gif

Based on Nikon's naming conventions the D70 will most likley not be a "better" camera than the D100. Maybe a couple of newer features like the N75 vs the N80, but that is about it. If Nikon doesn't hurry up to release the D70 Canon may be able to overshadow it with an announcement of yet a newer model. This will hurt the Nikon sales.

There is no doubt that Nikon is a bit behind in the race to develop new digital cameras. On the one hand this makes some existing owners happy because their cameras do not become obsolete so soon, on the other hand it continues to disappoint the people who are still waiting for the ideal digital camera.

I do have a tight budget, but in the spring, I will be in a position to buy (been saving quite a while now) I wolnt hold off though as every second without a powerful tool in my hand is another second missing my shots I wish to take.

If the D70 isnt as good as the D100 (which is geting a little long in the tooth) then I will just get the D100 or the 10D.

More than likely the D100 will be my choice...as none of the Canon bodys give me spot metering which I use a lot currently on my Coolpix 5700, and used a lot on my 8008s I used to own.

I just want a responsive camera (compared to the digicams and prosumer stuff that is out there)

Tired of missing shots of like wildlife due to slow reaction time...and shooting my friends wedding was murder with my 5700 (they still turned out good, and they are pleased...but it stretched my knowledge of the camera to get acceptable results).

Im a computer technician and have learned....there will always be a newer evolution....or a better deal around the corner.

I have learned to just buy what you need.....use it to its maximum....and upgrade when its unbearable to stick with what you have. For me, there is no winning by waiting in this market....because I would just deprive myself from the tool I need to be creative.

Roman

Roman

Expect the replacement for the D100 to be announced at or around the time of the PMA show in early February. Since the time is quite short, waiting may be quite profitable.

Also expect the learning curve of any dSLR to be equal or greater than the CP5700.

larry!

Oh....I plan on waiting even a few months after that. I am guessing I will have the money saved by April....which will be perfect.

As for the DSLR, the biggest problem would have been solved with brighter glass and the extra speed between shots and reduced focus time (especially in darker environments) with the DSLR. Speed is the biggest hurdle with the 5700 I had to jump. It still would have been challenging....but the camera wouldnt have been as big a part of the hurdle.

I know the controls of my camera pretty well (and it cant be anymore of a learning curve than my 8008s. I know the 5700 has some very good features....but even you must admit that the DSLR with a decent bright lens would have been faster reacting in a darker wedding environment.

(I utalized the flash but it was a dark older church with dark paneling and a darker winter day and since it was an historic church...the lighting was limited as well....made for a shoot that stretched my mind a bit. Also wouldnt have minded a little better range on my ISO settings)

Roman

Posted by Roman Johnston (Roman) on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 7:20

pm:

Oh...Mirror Lock Up is a way to reduce vibration for like long exposure shots by lifting the mirror and locking it in place instead of the usual slap that occurs when it lifts up when you press the shutter button.

Roman, don't count on there being mirror lock-up in the D70; it's not

on the D100 nor on the F100 film camera (which is otherwise quite well

built). I believe the issue is that the shutter mechanism used in these

cameras, as opposed to the D1 and F5 series, is a bit less light-proof

- so in fact the mirror in the down position helps to shield the imager

(or film) from light when you remove the lens to switch it.

BobF >

Back