DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Speculations on the D70

> > > > Bob, Sorry, I'll have to disagree with you on your assessment of the > D100. It does indeed have a locking mirror ability that tucks it out > of the way just before the shot is taken. I use it all the time for > slow exposures. Check your menu settings, but it's in there. > > >

The menu is "anti mirror shock mode. Read it in DPreview.

Was actually on another forum...and one person said he wasn’t at liberty to give details, but said the wait for the D70 would be well rewarded and maybe a bit surprising.

I have my hunches.....does Nikon ever use trusted pros to test their equipment to give it final tweaks?

(scratching my chin here....hummmmmm)

Roman

> The only thing I regret about buying my D100 is that I didn't do it sooner. I got a 24-120 VR lens to go on it and the combination has taken my photography to a new level.

When the D200 (or whatever it is) comes out to upgrade the D100, I won't wait nearly as long. I probably won't sell the D100 either, I'll keep it as a backup.

Either way, when the new models come out, the D100 will become even more "affordable," and will still be an extremely capable camera.

Not only that it will still handle like a Nikon, and still look like a Nikon, without that hump-shouldered Canon profile that looks like Darth Vader's helmet, left by the fire until it got all soft and melty. ;-) >

Not only that it will still handle like a Nikon, and still look like a Nikon, without that hump-shouldered Canon profile that looks like Darth Vader's helmet, left by the fire until it got all soft and melty. ;-) >

Thanks for the description.
smile.gif

Gilbert

I have to agree with everything said about the 5700 and Canon's appearance. I have been trying to replace my DSLR that I sold and fortunately have not bought anything yet. I almost ended up with the 10D but the seller on auction was a fraud. So maybe that was just Karma's way of letting me know I should have been waiting a few more days. Shortly after that fun experience, I received a note from a friend about this new D70. I was so excited since one of my favorite cameras (film) is the N70. I love the controls, speed and metering. The feel of it in my hand is more natural than any Canon I have ever picked up. I thought about the D100 but the price is just out of reach right now. Nikon has never let me down and I think this camera will out perform Canons model and have the feel of a real Pro camera. I even purchased a lens already in anticipation. I will have to go shoot some film with the N70 in preparation.

One problem I have had with digital is color. I don't seem to be able to reproduce the quality of slide film even with saturation and Photoshop tweaking. It leaves me a bit disenfranchised with digital... please Nikon, send me a camera that produces as good a quality image as Velvia 50!!! Boy, that would be a nice ISO setting I haven't seen yet in any camera.

No more Vader Helmets Canon!!!

Mark, I really dont mean this comment in a nasty way....but are you really experienced in photoshop? I get great color out of my Nikon 5700 and the Canon S50 I currently own.... (Also used to have an 8008s system in my film days)

Might be your monitor?!? (lol..im might be talkin out my arse here.....for all I know...you might be a photoshop genious with all the calibration equipment in the world)

I have shot both.....film and digital...and while it does need photoshop tweaks to pop the color out many times.......and I too have seen film has a slight edge...I've never go to a point where digital is lackluster in comparison....or to the point of concern.

Roman

I have to agree with Ginger on the 24-120 AFSVR lens I added it last year and it hardly ever leaves my S2pro body its a great all round lens I just wish my S1pro was fully functional with it.

Roman,
No harm, I just think the colors POP better with slide film. I shot roughly 10,000 pic with the 5700 and compared the results with many pics I shot with film prior and could see a huge difference. I am usually pushing the slide film and used the 5700 a lot of the time at -.7 exposure to "thicken" the color a little more (I thought it was thin at 0) and I up-ed the saturation a bit.

As for Photoshop, I have been using it for quite a while with much success but no amount of tweaking could change my mind about the difference b/w slide and digital (to date). Unfortunately, I am reluctant to shoot film b/c I am saving that $$$ for my new camera. <kick myself everyday for not shooting>

One thing that does come to mind is the glass. Having such a wide range does limit the glass a bit. I am accustomed to using zooms but not to that extent... Who knows? My colors don't lie though. Check out www.liquidenvironment.com

There have been fewer additions since I switched to digital. !!BUT!! I am always up for a challenge and any insight anyone has so keep me posted! I always like a good challenge with my creation and I appreciate the feedback.

Mark

I am considering the D100 right now and will probably get it very soon… might make a believer out of me yet
happy.gif

Back