DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Ricoh GR3 & GR3x - the dream team?

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
I use both, the Ricoh GR3 and the GR3x. I love them. If I have to travel as small as possible or just to take a real camera without bothering about body size, these are the ones I grab.

Excellent image quality (APS-C sensor), IBIS, small and I can operate it with only one hand.

Yes , my absolutely dream team . I have the GR III and love it . But I must also say , I have a strong craving for the GR III X .
And as I know , that the GR III X would be a "nice to have" thing , I could not make up my mind yet .
It would be nice , to hear other members experience with the GR III X . It might help me to do the step , I should not do .

Here a quick shot from just around the corner of my house . GR III .

BAY 308.jpg
  • 18.3 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/80 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 200

Happy Easter from Germany . Jürgen .

It would be nice , to hear other members experience with the GR III X . It might help me to do the step , I should not do .

It depends on your shooting style and which FL you like to use.

From the usability and quality point of you, GR3 and GR3x are exactly the same.

I've had a GR since the introduction of the GRii. After having shot almost my entire life with a 50mm prime, adjusting to the GR with a 28mm FFE was surprisingly easier than I thought.
Personally, I think the GRiiiX at 40mm FFE was a brilliant move by Ricoh. It's separates itself from the 28, better than the 35 would, but isn't as tight as the 50 and I really like it.
Having said that, I haven't pulled the trigger on the GRiiix, ad I'm in the middle of figuring out if I can live with the X-Pro3 and their 40mm FFE prime.

It's a brilliant camera in its own way, but every time I pick it up, I'm reminded of why I love the GR cameras...so we'll see where I am in 6-months.

I can't make up my mind , to go for the GR III x or not . :z04-head-wall:
This image is taken with the GR III .

ARLA 2.1.jpg
  • RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. - RICOH GR III
  • 18.3 mm
  • ƒ/5.59999990463
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 200

I use both, the Ricoh GR3 and the GR3x. I love them. If I have to travel as small as possible or just to take a real camera without bothering about body size, these are the ones I grab.

Excellent image quality (APS-C sensor), IBIS, small and I can operate it with only one hand.
The original Ricoh GR was my favorite camera. It didn't have IBIS, but as you've noted, it's compact (you could carry it in your pants pocket!), and you can operate it with one hand. It has the best haptics, and gave me the best shooting experience, of any camera I've owned. Through the Ricoh GR, I developed an appreciation for the 28mm field of view, which is by far my favorite FOV for wide-angle photography.
Here's a link to my Ricoh GR album on Flickr: https://flickr.com/photos/edrawady/albums/72157636324676163
Alas, my brand-new Ricoh GR also came with a significant piece of dust/debris on its sensor, and although the manufacturer replaced it, the replacement also soon showed dust spots on the sensor. There was discussion at DPReview over the GR's tendency to acquire dust on its sensor. For me, this was a fatal, show-stopping flaw, because there was no way to clean the sensor without resorting to a challenging, risky, disassembly of the camera, a procedure that was not authorized by the manufacturer. So I sold my GR (with full disclosure that there was dust on its sensor), and I've been reluctant to purchase another one.
If Ricoh ever produces a weather-sealed GR, then I'll seriously consider buying one.

~Ed

The original Ricoh GR was my favorite camera. It didn't have IBIS, but as you've noted, it's compact (you could carry it in your pants pocket!), and you can operate it with one hand. It has the best haptics, and gave me the best shooting experience, of any camera I've owned. Through the Ricoh GR, I developed an appreciation for the 28mm field of view, which is by far my favorite FOV for wide-angle photography.
Here's a link to my Ricoh GR album on Flickr: https://flickr.com/photos/edrawady/albums/72157636324676163
Alas, my brand-new Ricoh GR also came with a significant piece of dust/debris on its sensor, and although the manufacturer replaced it, the replacement also soon showed dust spots on the sensor. There was discussion at DPReview over the GR's tendency to acquire dust on its sensor. For me, this was a fatal, show-stopping flaw, because there was no way to clean the sensor without resorting to a challenging, risky, disassembly of the camera, a procedure that was not authorized by the manufacturer. So I sold my GR (with full disclosure that there was dust on its sensor), and I've been reluctant to purchase another one.
If Ricoh ever produces a weather-sealed GR, then I'll seriously consider buying one.

~Ed
Old Ricoh fan with a serious soft spot for them. But from the very first GRD which was a survivor in the compact camera type probaby because it was not built down to a price and Ricoh had some serious firmware inside for serious users. At least in the later versions. I did keep my GRD and GRDIV but by the time of the GR the compact size had just become too 'less compact' for my taste and things like the really close focus capability had been sacrificed on the altar of aps-c. Furthermore the late acquired IBIS of the GRDIV also went for a while on the GR series before it was re-intoduced.

In any case after a while I wondered just how many fixed 28mm price lensed cameras I might need. The GRIII is a tad more compact than the GR was but still does not have an evf. The GRDIIIx does have another focal length and that is good.

However at the launch of the GR were I was a first cab off the rank in Australia, and I was a serious item on the Ricoh forum of dpreview, there was much talk about multiple bodies each with a different lens (then). But Ricoh's own converts had effectively rejected the very innovative GXR modular camera concept that I had endorsed with a lot of my camera-spend money. Great, but a new GXR body (camera back) with a built in evf would have been nice. It never came and Ricoh bought Pentax assets instead (and dumped the promising GXR line).

I resolved the problem personally by trying out a Panasonic GM1 (no evf either at the time) which had a body size very similar to the Ricoh GR but had the advantage of being able to choose your own lens from a very attractive smorgasbord of lens choices. Plumped for a 12/2.0 and 42.5/1.2 (24mm and 85mm in Ricoh FF fov eq terms) plus of course the quite useful little kit zoom that came with the body. The result fairly soon enough was my NZ South Island trip where I have showcase quite a few images from that trip (M4/3 forum here) all taken exclusively with the GM1 body and nine years on the GM1 and its GM5 siblings are still very capable and I have quite a few other lenses to play with.

The very first thing I learned about any GRD/GR is that you don't ever pocket that very pocketable camera body. I escaped all dust on sesnor issues until one day short of hands I did slip my GR into my pocket - errgh! a large dust bunny sure enough and you cannot just whip off the lens to deal with it. Nor can you make the seals so tight that they create vacuum inside the body - dust also can come from other places besides through the lens. Ricoh does try and limit the lens extension movement but cannot take away the collapsing lens altogether.

But I do get nostalgic moments when I see an newly marketed GR and wonder "what if" they are one of those camera types that certainly gets one's juices flowing. I did invest quite a lot of my money between GRD, GRDIV, GR, GX100, R4, R8, CX1 and a swag of GXR bodies and modules. No issues with my Ricoh pedigree.

But I just slapped a Pansonic 20/1.7 pancake on a GM1 camera body and called it close enough and I already had the bits .... :). the lens does not retract of course.

What if? .... They had kept going on the extraordinarily good idea that was the modular GXR - on the cusp of greatness and better spent their Pentax money investment instead on making the GXR system into 'supercam".

Then main issue of course is that Ricoh has a number of mount systems in its 'library' but only the Pentax Q mount is made for mirrorless bodies and the Q system seems to have been a dead end. They spent a small fortune on developing a FF dslr body (which was excellent) at the time when both Nikon and Canon were despertely looking for a way out of the dslr type.

But the GRIII and GRIIIx is tightly lauded by those that own one or both. Unfortunately I took another path and am too seriously invested in M4/3 to do any more than "I wonder if ....".

I remember you posting about the Ricoh GRD and Lumix GM series in the DP Review forums.

The GM5 was my second-favorite camera. I owned two of them from 2016 through 2018, along with Olympus camera bodies (OM-D E-M1, the E-PL5, and the E-M10), the Lumix G85, and several M43 lenses, including the Panasonic 12-32 kit zoom that came with one of the GM5s I bought.

I've always preferred smaller, lighter gear, but for the past few years, I've sacrificed the convenience, portability, and fun of the M43 format, to invest in cameras with larger sensors. Though I know the size of the sensor has nothing to do with an image's aesthetic value/quality, I've felt compelled to pursue larger sensors, in order to be able to get the most out RAW files in post processing. It's not surprising to me that the images I produce now, with a full-frame camera (Nikon Z6), are no more pleasing to my eye than images I captured/created with the Lumix GM5, or the Ricoh GR. I wish I'd held onto the GM5s and a couple of lenses, but as a hobbyist with limited income, I had to sell old gear to purchase newer gear.

I think that i was once more enthusiastic about Ricoh gear than my present affection for the Panasonic GM series which is saying something.

But I agree it is the shared compact dimensions of the Ricoh and Panasonic products that is the principal motivating force.

I do have my retained Canon EF mount lenses and also in the FF door The Panasonic S1 and Canon 5Ds - both in the large and hefty end of the spectrum which are 'special projects' bodies.

We make our kit to suit how we approach our photography and it is good that such variety remains available even in what seems to be a market that has decided to keep their present gear in use for longer periods of time.

Back