DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

> Hi Wilson. Maybe you misunderstood my post. The autofocus G1 doesn't allow you to focus in the finder the way a manual focus rangefinder does. I mentioned the Voigtlander just as an ex&le, but basically any manual focus rangefinder camera focuses that way - line up the two split images, then it's focused.

I just bought a G1 and this is my first contact
with RF AF cameras. Could any of you old hands
explain what is the best procedure to achieve correct focusing and exposure when using a remote
release cable ? (I am still in the mindset of AF SLR where the cable release is triggered in 2 steps, first for focusing and metering, second for shutter release).

Regards

Andrei

How do I turn off the automatic film rewind in G1? Since the rewinding sounds like diesel engine, for a quiet environment I would prefer to move somewhere else and rewind the film afterwards.

Thanks in advance, Trisnadi

Andrei,
I have not been able to separate focusing from triggering the shutter with the cable release. As you point out, the L-cable does not have two steps (as opposed to the remote for the N1/NX)

Trisnadi,
I don't think you can turn off the auto rewind in the G1 or the G2 (the manual does not say anything about that, but is is NOT one of the "Custom functions").

Juan

Trisnadi,

it is impossible to turn off auto rewind.
All you can do is skipping the last 1-2 shots and manually start the rewind operation before/after the "low profile" situation.
That beeing said, where you can put up with the overall G1 noise level, film rewind should also be accepted.

Till

I just got a Contax G1 and it is a a great little camera, the only thing that bothers me is that sometimes it seems to "lose" focus lock. I prefocus and everything seems fine, but then when I press it down the rest of the way, the distance indicator disappears for a moment and then it it seems to refocus and then shoot.
It isn't consistent, but it seems to happen about 1 in 8 shots, ruining the timing. Sometimes it happens when I prefocus and reframe, and other times it seems to happen even if I don't reframe.

Any ideas? I'm used to AF SLR's so, this pre-focus stuff is no problem for me.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve

I had that same problem once with a 45mm on my G1. The lens was faulty, none of my other lenses does it. Do you find it with only one lens?

Vivian

Nope, no other lenses to test it against. I tried it with manual focus and it seems to do the same thing. But it actually feels as if there may be an electrical problem with the shutter release butter. The body had some grime on it.

I'm not sure what to do about the camera. I got it for a good price, and if a CLA doesn't cost much, it would still be a great bargain.

Steve

Hi,

Has any G1 owner had this happen?

I was at the Huka Falls in Taupo New Zealand last Saturday. Took two shots using G1 plus 35/2. Fine. Tried to take a third and nothing happened. No viewfinder display, no shutter release. Nothing. Still had readout as to "Single Shot", "DX Code" etc but no other function. Oh, the battery icone was flashing, so I thought--batteries dead. Removed them and warmed them in my pocket (it's autumn here in new Zealand). That got everything happening and I shot off two more shots. Then nothing again. Same as befor. Readout info but no battery icon happening and no viewfinder info or shutter release.

Curse myself for leaving my spare batteries at home. Fast forward to buying new replacement batteries ni town--the lovely village of Taupo. These batteries didn't work. Was it the batteries or something more serious, I thought. Can a new set of batteries with a UBD of 2012 both be dead???

Thinking I'll have to return the G1 to Contax I midwind the film and take it out. Try the camera just one more time for luck and lo and behold full functionality is back again.

What happened. Why did this not occur straight after replacing the new batteries while the film was still in the camera? Does opening the back make the computer default to "go" once more or what?

Has anyone had this happen? Does anyone have an explanation?

Thank you in advance,

Barry O'Connor
New Zealand

Till, thanks for the advise. I am doing that approach at the moment. I noticed I always get 37 exposures, so when the counter reach 37 I manually rewind. But sometimes I forget about this when I am taking sequences.

Thanks, Trisnadi

Back