DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

manual lens help

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried the Canon AF confirm chips with the SD cameras? The protocols are the same, there have been SD cams converted to EOS mount. Supposedly everything but Image Stabilization worked.

So if the spacing and dimensions of the chip are compatible, perhaps it will be helpful. Either that, or find someone to make a split prism focusing screen. (It was a lifesaver on my 40D with manual lenses.)

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried the Canon AF confirm chips with the SD cameras? The protocols are the same, there have been SD cams converted to EOS mount. Supposedly everything but Image Stabilization worked.

It wont work because the Canon EF electrical contact block is different to the SA contact block...It would need a mechanical redesign to make the AF confirm chip fit the SA mount and given the low sales volumes of Sigma cameras it would'nt be economically viable to put such a chip into production.

So if the spacing and dimensions of the chip are compatible, perhaps it will be helpful. Either that, or find someone to make a split prism focusing screen. (It was a lifesaver on my 40D with manual lenses.)
I don't think SD cameras need an AF confirm chip: When focus is achieved, the green led in the viewfinder light up. But, for that to work, you need to first mount a SA auto lens each time you remove the batterie.
The problem with EF contacts block and SA contacts block is that the inner diameter of EF mount is larger than those of SA mount.
However, I heard some people did adapt Canon 50mm EF on SA mount and kept the automatism. Then I guess it should be tried, maybe first with a broken canon lens?

On the other way, I do have a stigmometer split focusing screen on my SD14 (imported from China at a very low cost - 19€) The focusing screen is not perfect, and I do have to adjust very precisely the screen.

Back