Filters for Black and White Photography

G

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a set of filters for black and white photography (yellow,green red) for use with the 46mm wide G-lens (28,45,90). I dont think Contax make any of these filters. I would like to use the lens hoods on top of the filters. Also as I have the black lens, I would prefer black filters.

Thanks in advance

G

Hi Stuart, I would get the B + W catalogue and look there. The quality of these filters will complement your G lens nicely.
William

G

Stuart- B+W filters are some of the best available. The glass is excellant and the tint very accurate. They are made by Schneider Optical Company. Check them out at
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

The mounts are matte black and the threads are very clean - they go on and off the lens without binding. Other filter I have used (Tiffen and Hoya) are not as good. I have the 021 light yellow [3], 022 medium yellow [8], 090 red [25], and 061 green [13]. The numbers in brackets are the Kodak Wratten numbers. For most B&W work, these are all you need. In the Chicago area, I use the light yellow ALMOST all of the time due to the haze in the area.

Jim

G

Thanks both for your advice. One thing that slightly concerns me is the depth of the B+W filters. I have read that these are 6mm deep whereas the genuine contax filters are 4.5mm deep. Will the extra depth of the B+W filter cause any problems if I want to use the G lens hoods.

Stuart

G

Stuart -

The only way to find out is to try a test. I think it should be OK, but I remember reading in another section of this forum that you might see the hood in the corner of the viewfinder (not a real problem). Also, if you stack filters you could get vignetting on the negative.

I also remember reading a post about using a cut down ruber hood. You could probably just use the ring from the rubbeer hood - maybe stack one or two of these.

I don't have the G hoods yet; they have been on order for about 6 weeks along with the caps.

Jim

G

Stuart, I have not had any problems with the standard B+W filter on the 28mm lens (a yellow one lives on this), but for wider, B+W have the "slim" version which I use with my Nikon 20mm.

G

As I write this, I have a B&W sitting on my lap that I use on the zoom lens. One think I do not like about this filter is that the G2 lens cap does not fit on the filter

G

What an idiot I am! I was doing something wrong! The cap fits! Sorry for the wrong info!

G

Don't worry K Michael. We've all been there!
I have recently bought some B + W filters but have yet to use them. Are there any confirmed reports out there of vignetting when these are used with the G system hoods?

G

I don't know. I never used a hood on my lenses becasue I have not yet experimented with it. Most of the stuff I've used the G for has been important and I did not want to takea chance.

G

My experience is: 90mm, no vignetting even with 2 filters + hood; 45mm, no vignetting with one filter + hood; 28mm, no vignetting with a filter and no vignetting with a hood-but definite vignetting when hood and filter are combined. The 21mm does not vignet with a filter. I have not used a hood with this lens. All filters used were rather thick, standard Tiffens. By the way, I cannot tell that the Tiffen brand degrades my picture quality in any way.

Ron in NM

J

John_bird

Hi the contax filters I own have larger diameter threds at the front to allower for this, dont know if this is true for all C.Z filters though.
john

rob_l

Black and White filters again

I am going to buy some B & W filters for my G2. ( probably a red, yellow, maybe a green/yellow.)

Will the G2 TTL exposure automatically compensate for these filters (even the red?), or will I have to make adjustments?

thanks in advance.

P

paul_drouillard

Hello,

Yes indeed, the camera does TTL metering so it will meter thru the filter and compensate for it. However, it has been my experience that it does underexpose significantly with the red filter, especially with Scala. Haven't had time to do conclusive tests to establish whether it is a red sensitivity issue with the film or if the red affects the sensitivity of the meter.

Personally, I would opt for a darker yellow, orange and red and perhaps a light yellow green for skin tones. B&W is certainly good stuff. Currently, I'm using the Rodenstock filters because they are also very good but I really like the way the individual containers all lock and stack together. Great space saver and organized too.

Only an opinion, certainly not gospel.

Cheers.

Paul