DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax teleconverters

G

Which teleconverter, Mutar I, II or III, can be used with the lens 80-200mm/f4? Which one is better?

While you may use the Mutar I with the 80-200/f4 with some limitations, your best bet would be the Mutar III.

I have a 80-200/f4. I found out that 200mm is not enough for shooting my son's baseball game, especially when he is playing outfielding. Any suggestions that I should purchase a tele lens (300 or 500) or a teleconverter for 80-200/f4?

Correct me if I'm wrong...

When you connect an MM lens to a teleconverter, essentially you are down to AE functions.

Has anyone any experience with non-Zeiss teleconverters?? The Vivitar, for ex&le, 2x model is a fraction of the cost of the Zeiss Mutar I. At $50 (from B&H), is it even worth the try??

I have tried a few teleconverters, and the quality has been uniformly average-to-mediocre. There seems little point to me in choosing to invest in Zeiss glass only to waste its technical and aesthetic advantage by reducing it to the lowest common denominator of some third party producer. It's only a personal view, of course, but when you arrive at Zeiss, it's because you have realised you won't tolerate 'average' any longer.

Alex

> I bought a Mutar 2 used from Ebay and it cost 190.00 shipped. Still more expensive than the non-Zeis lenses but its significantly lower. >

Occasionally I use a Mutar III along with the VS 80-200. Before I bought the Mutar, I contacted Carl Zeiss in Oberkochen, Germany, to know if there would be any major optical or mechanical drawbacks resulting from this combination. I talked at the time to Kornelius Fleischer, who told me that they recently had performed some tests of these two optics together which turned out amazingly well, although the Mutar III had originally not been designed for use with the Zoom.
I bought the Mutar and just can confirm his statement. If used on a tripod and stopped down to f 8, the picture quality is still within the range of what other Zeiss optics are delivering.

Back