DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax superwides

Stunning optics, although not something you can use all the time. Expensive but made in smaller numbers than most. Great in confined spaces. Able to be converted to a rectilinear image after scanning and modifying digitally. Apparently equates to something around 12mm after conversion. A bit hard to find and easy to damage if you make a habit of placing it front element down on less than even surfaces. You learn to be more careful when you pay Zeiss prices for such a lens. Regards,

Gary

I have experience of the Yashica 15mm Fisheye. I was very impressed with it. It was sharp to the corners (170-degree field). I even used it for night-sky pictures (a difficult test for any lens) and all the stars had pin-point images.

>>I have experience of the Yashica 15mm Fisheye. I was very impressed with it. It was sharp to the corners (170-degree field). I even used it for night-sky pictures (a difficult test for any lens) and all the stars had pin-point images.<<

Couldn't agree more. VERY sharp with VERY even illumination. But it's a tough find. On Ebay USA recently, a rather generic unit quickly sold for $485 USD. (slight "small rub mark" on the front element and "the rear element have some thing look like spider web type of seperations around the edge of lens") Even with faults, this lens was quickly grabbed at nearly $500. Maybe someone with more money than brains. ;)

David

I am using the 16mm 2,8 Distagon. It is quite difficult to use because it produce a great distorsion, but the image quality and sharpness is incredibly !! is e special lens for special photos. I sold all the photos done with it, people like them very much, is an unusual way to see the world.
Regards. EDEK

Edek,

Totally agree! This is another overpriced CZ lens but is stunningly sharp across most of the field, with only a tinge of lateral color near the edge. While it produces that crazy fisheye look at the drop of a hat, I have been quite success using it as a normal lens.

My other fisheye is used on a Canon DSLR with a 1.6X sensor crop. The less extreme angle-of-view, - and the fisheye property of preserving shapes - makes this combo the ultimate "people lens". I really wish the Mutar III worked with the F-Distagon.

Hi Rico, about 16mm, I am using one not stil mine but I can buy it for about 600 dollars, not too much compared with the prices i have seen on the web. I dont know what to do, I have Nikon gear but want to complete the ccontax one. I need more a 28 and some tele may be 85 or 135 for my job, and cheapper than a 16, but..... this distagon is really a tentation, may be not to work with but to have fantastic and incredible fun fotos, like I said is another way to see the world! and in photography is just this diferent way to show the scene what has more impact on the people.
Regards.
EDEK<<<<<<<<

For cheap fisheye fun, perhaps you can choose the Sigma 15/2.8 ($300 new), or the Russian version ($100 new). These will fit all the common SLR mounts. There is also a Yashica C/Y version but it is - of course - discontinued and scarce.

If anyone is willing to wait until I finish the current roll in my RX (may take a little time as mainly using G2 at present) I can email them a scanned copy of some photos I have recently taken with the Zenit 16mm Fisheye, trying it very stopped down and camera on tripod to see if it really is a lens or a paperweight. One of the main problems is the lens is completely uncoupled i.e. neither AE nor MM so if you open up to focus/frame, you have to remember to stop down afterwards as it is useless wide open. My recommendation would be to save up for the Sigma or hunt around for a Yashica - TANSTAAFL. Wilson

I use the distagon 18/4 for 6 months now. It is my favourite lens. Very sharp and brilliant. There is really no reason why someone should not use this lens.

See the enclosed photo.
More photo's: www.melvinredeker.com

Melvin
159750.jpg

Back